Rattling front right wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm hearing a metallic rattling noise coming from the right front wheel area that seems to be getting worse. The sound only happens when going over small bumps in the road. Seems to be suspension related. Im going to jack it up the frame in that area and see if anything is loose. I got underneath the wheel well but dont see anything obvious broken. The upper and lower ball joints are intact. The suspension link looks good. With everyones experience I am hoping someone could maybe point me to something specific to check first?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see a 'rattling' noise issue, I immediately think if there is any metal heat shrouding in the general area of the rattle. I'm not sure that it applies here, but it is worth a look.

Are the sway bar end link bushings and center u-bushings in good shape?

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to think sway bar end link right away too. Those are pretty common. Could also be the shock mount, if the rubber bushing has rotted away. Ball joints, wheel bearing. Since you have two ball joints, you need to check them differently. Jack up the car, load the suspension (set the lower control arm on a jack stand). Grab the tire by the top and bottom and wiggle in and out, see if theres any movement. You'll see movement between the control arm and knuckle if its a ball joint. IF you just see the tire moving, its the wheel bearing. Also, put a pry bar or long bar/pipe under the tire and pry up and down, see if there's any movement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you lift at frame, the suspension in unloaded. You can jack under the lower control arm, close to the lower ball joint, and then the suspension is loaded, just like when driving. Then you can check the suspension correctly and check for slop at the sway bar link. Look for any large harness wrapped in convoluted flexible tubing that is not latched down. Check wheel center cap for looseness.....