Rattle/grinding noise at 25-35 mph, mechanic told me AFM and lifters need to be changed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual mode enables you to determine the shift timing vs having the computer do it.

Unfortunately, I don't own a 6L80 equipped vehicle (yet - will be buying one in the fall) I can't speak to the particulars as to what you can and can't do in light of your current symptom patterns, etc...Speed-wise, it shouldn't be any different than acceleration rate you have in auto-shift mode. Will tag @wjburken for his input...
Ok thanks. It seems like if for example; I put it in manual 5, it will go through all fears like normal but just stops me from going into 6th. And it will also let me shift when I want to I just have to reset the gear down to 1 each time

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I’ve been driving around in gear five in manual mode for a while now about a couple days:

I put it back in Drive and drove back from work and I don’t hear the grinding noise anymore in v4?

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi From México. Buy. AFM disabler , before is to late. It plugs on ODM Port. EASY AND CHEAP. (I had to change the camshaft and lifters).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi From México. Buy. AFM disabler , before is to late. It plugs on ODM Port. EASY AND CHEAP. (I had to change the camshaft and lifters).
actualmente lo estoy conduciendo en manuel gear 5, lo haré hasta que pueda pagar el disagler AFM

Scott Martin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I was considering the range AFM disabler. Probably the cheapest fix tbh.but I have an issue where the radio lights draw power (left sunroof open and that’s what I get for doing that) and I’m afraid the disabler may run my battery dead on top of that radio issue. (I get slow cranks on the first start of the day sometimes)

Can it just be unplugged when not using it I suppose? Then plug it in before I start her up?

Lastly, is there any cheaper brands than the $230 range brand ones?
I have a Range AFM disabler and I love it, it doesn't draw very much power at all. And yes you can remove anytime you want to but just make sure you plug it back in before you
drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019