Rap is staying on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purebred166

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
13 tahoe ltz. I have a tech 2 and would like some insight into this. Drivers door light don't light up,rap stays on but key in and door open chimes. Ran tech 2 and it says door is open at the ddm like it should be.checked bcm and it says rap is off but radio is still on till it times out and no overhead light. Checked the wiring the best I could. Is it the bcm? It's almost like it's a stuck relay.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13 tahoe ltz. I have a tech 2 and would like some insight into this. Drivers door light don't light up,rap stays on but key in and door open chimes. Ran tech 2 and it says door is open at the ddm like it should be.checked bcm and it says rap is off but radio is still on till it times out and no overhead light. Checked the wiring the best I could. Is it the bcm? It's almost like it's a stuck relay.
I'm a bluegrass man myself, so I can't say why the rap is staying on. :p

Seriously though, basics first - there's a button above the panel dimmer switch that's the toggle for the interior lights. I've seen people come here and ask similar questions, only to find that they'd somehow toggled the interior lights off with that switch.

Next up: do you have a Tech2 or equivalent that can read the BCM? If so, you can use it to determine if the interior lights are being commanded on by the BCM.

Next up part 2: I can get you a wiring diagram if you need it to start troubleshooting with a meter, but I'd be looking for continuity between the interior lighting fuse and the dash switch followed by the bulb sockets.

OP
OP
P

purebred166

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a bluegrass man myself, so I can't say why the rap is staying on. :p

Seriously though, basics first - there's a button above the panel dimmer switch that's the toggle for the interior lights. I've seen people come here and ask similar questions, only to find that they'd somehow toggled the interior lights off with that switch.

Next up: do you have a Tech2 or equivalent that can read the BCM? If so, you can use it to determine if the interior lights are being commanded on by the BCM.

Next up part 2: I can get you a wiring diagram if you need it to start troubleshooting with a meter, but I'd be looking for continuity between the interior lighting fuse and the dash switch followed by the bulb sockets.
The interior light switch is correct. The tech 2 says light should be on an rap turned off with the door open but it don't turn off until it times out. So the signal is being sent from the bcm but I'm not sure where that signal goes next.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no relay, most likely it is a bad door lock actuator.
much less of a headache to just try a actuator first and "then" if the problem persist's dig deeper and return the actuator.
the actuator is digital in a sense that it sends a lan signal to the drivers door switch which in turn sends the signal to the bcm
this has come up before and it is always the actuator.... they sometimes do wierd things

OP
OP
P

purebred166

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to the tech 2 it is working when you close and open the door.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interior light switch is correct. The tech 2 says light should be on an rap turned off with the door open but it don't turn off until it times out. So the signal is being sent from the bcm but I'm not sure where that signal goes next.
I believe Wes' analysis is correct. The actuator participates on the Canbus network and can cause the headaches you're describing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the tech 2 it is working when you close and open the door.
unless I am wrong I believe there is 2 signals from the actuator of which either one can fail. which is why it usually turns out to be the actuator.
I am part idiot so i could be wrong, but for sanity I would try a actuator first to rule it out.
just what I would do before spending more time chasing a potential ghost.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the giveaway is the rap. you could try some other basic testing like start driving and open the drivers door and see if you get a door open warning, I think you have to be moving over 5 or 15mph, or open the door and start driving and see if the warning comes up.
or if you have the door locks set to lock at speed see if that works with the door open while driving
not a total scientific test saying the actuator is working right but sometimes if those things don't work as they are supposed to it also points at the actuator.

OP
OP
P

purebred166

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I drove it at 18mph opened the door and the display said drivers door open. Also left the door open and went to drive and it said the same thing.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a door ajar signal as well as door open.

I wonder if that is used to turn off radio instead of the door open signal for whatever reason...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019