Radio gadgets can steal a car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
Ran across this video yesterday:

and been reading the Wired article (https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/) from April. Curious to know how vulnerable the newer model GM vehicles are to this type of hack. The article mentions the researchers hacking a Chevrolet Captiva SUV so assume the key fob technology is the same. If so will need a Faraday bag to drop the keys in every night.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was in England but, yeah, need to be aware of this. Hopefully, those of us that still need a key to start the vehicle (vs pusbutton) don't need to worry about this (yet).

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the newer models are vulnerable.
a perp was picked up in my area last year w/ one of the fob extenders.
he lived in the area & was stealing valuables.

there was a hacker site that had all the parts & details on how it worked like 3 years ago.

place fob in faraday bag or altoid tin & no more issues.

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It annoys me when auto "journalists" complain that such-and-such car is "dated" and "not modern" when it -- gasp! -- needs a key to start it.
The 'journalists" breathlessly gush about every new gimmick, and can't be too harsh, else their magazine/website wouldnt get advertising dollars from the car manufacturers and the "journalist" wouldn't get writing gigs, especially the freelancers.
Auto "journalists" are near useless and highly biased.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It annoys me when auto "journalists" complain that such-and-such car is "dated" and "not modern" when it -- gasp! -- needs a key to start it.
The 'journalists" breathlessly gush about every new gimmick, and can't be too harsh, else their magazine/website wouldnt get advertising dollars from the car manufacturers and the "journalist" wouldn't get writing gigs, especially the freelancers.
Auto "journalists" are near useless and highly biased.

then you end up with all the shit where you cant figure out how the damn radio, a/c, etc works, we have a shop and work with all the local dealers, so we are picking up and delivering new cars/trucks and last several years you hop in some and cant get shit to work !!! Seems many cars are only for tech savy people, but guess what lots of old non tech people buy as well..this got ford, cadillac, BMW slammed in reports due to their pain to operate controls..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not just more complicated but more distracting. The big infotainment screens are now known to be more dangerous than texting while driving.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya GM removing the steering wheel pin lock alone was a serious security issue, I added a separate security system with gps to mine just in case they manage to get around everything else.

L's Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Criminals find a way around anything. The only real thing you can do is slow them down and increase the time it takes to break into stuff.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our old muscle cars we had two things that kept the thieves from taking them, the first was a kill switch to the fuel pump. The second was a product called "Touch-N-Go", it too was a kill switch of sorts. Your body completed the circuit, you had to touch two different parts of the car to enable the ignition. Thieves were always busting the columns but they never got a car more than a block away from the house.

OP
OP
coder

coder

Reaction score
On our old muscle cars we had two things that kept the thieves from taking them, the first was a kill switch to the fuel pump. The second was a product called "Touch-N-Go", it too was a kill switch of sorts. Your body completed the circuit, you had to touch two different parts of the car to enable the ignition. Thieves were always busting the columns but they never got a car more than a block away from the house.

Yep, had a kill switch on my Silverado as well. Had some coworkers steal my keys and move my truck in the parking garage as a prank only to come and tell me the truck was stuck in between floors! Haha, I had the last laugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz