Radiator Hoses - Replace if Visually Fine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali, 6.2 L, AWD, 191,000 miles. Vehicle has original radiator/coolant hoses, but no leaks and appear fine with no noticeable soft spots or cracking. Radiator professionally flushed at 5-year marks and conditioners used. Dex-Cool always used. I came across this article about not needing to proactively replace hoses. If all seems well, leave them without worry? I've read about the "T" being a problem... that is original, too, but not noticing any leaks.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pile on to what Wes said. In my opinion, that's about time for a complete cooling system refresh. Radiator, radiator hoses, water pump, heater hoses and T's at the firewall. Use only OEM parts for the T's and the radiator. Rock Auto has good prices on all of them. Cheap insurance. I did the same on my 2007 with 195K on it at the time a couple of years ago.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHANGE THEM ALL!

Don't let this happen to you on the road. I was 'accelerating' against another truck, and at high RPMs, the cooling hose just blew itself apart. I had ~130,000 miles on the truck at the time, and visually, all of the cooling hoses looked fine on the outside.

Cooling Hose Blowout.jpg

Note that this was a hose separation, and not an issue with the plastic Tee's, which are also problematic, and should be replaced, along with ALL coolant hoses.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Agree with Do Em All !!! 14 years old.... You have gotten your money's worth for sure,
esp if you haven't been stranded or worse yet , overheated your engine due to a leak or
blow out... I do all of mine every 5 years (I have 8 cars)

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali, 6.2 L, AWD, 191,000 miles. Vehicle has original radiator/coolant hoses, but no leaks and appear fine with no noticeable soft spots or cracking. Radiator professionally flushed at 5-year marks and conditioners used. Dex-Cool always used. I came across this article about not needing to proactively replace hoses. If all seems well, leave them without worry? I've read about the "T" being a problem... that is original, too, but not noticing any leaks.
We changed w/new all of the hoses shortly after we bought our ole 07 Denali 3 yrs ago, even the plastic heater hose Ts we replaced with the pricey aluminum jobbies from Gruvenparts.com

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! Are the hoses a pretty simple DIY job? Any special tools need for the connectors? I will consult my manual, YouTube, etc., but you all are always the best advisors. We tow a 5,500 lb. hybrid camper on the flats of Wisconsin, so I want to prep while in the offseason. Denali is driving great right now. I want to keep it going as long as possible.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! Are the hoses a pretty simple DIY job? Any special tools need for the connectors? I will consult my manual, YouTube, etc., but you all are always the best advisors. We tow a 5,500 lb. hybrid camper on the flats of Wisconsin, so I want to prep while in the offseason. Denali is driving great right now. I want to keep it going as long as possible.
the easiest way to do the heater hose t's is to get some pliers and break the plastic tabs off the side then they just come off there is special tool but it's royal pita to get them off otherwise even with the tool. the other hoses just slide off/on with spring loaded clamps for which there is another tool......

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Watch several you tube videos to see all the different ways and how to refill the system correctly. Also, do the thermostat at the same time with a quality Genuine GM or AC Delco stat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse