R1 concepts rotors/Hawk pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 01 z71 4x4. Recently upgraded to some 07-13 Silverado 18s with almost a 33" tire. Fairly certain I have stock brakes on it which are starting to warp pretty bad, I'm guessing from the added weight. I have seen a few people here and there say good things about r1/hawk. If you have one of these or similar setups I would like to know your experience with them and exactly what you used. Thanks.

20150615_123126.jpg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Powerstop 1 click brake kit.

http://www.powerstop.com/?gclid=Cj0...-MxWctezJTt2hA814nkoj3qUanH-C_nu3kaAgjW8P8HAQ

Been pretty happy with the the set up. Not a drastic difference from OEM in terms of massive stopping power but affordable and having all new pads and rotors at the corners is always a good piece of mind.

At least worth the research as other guys chime in with their set ups to compare.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While your at it swap to the 07+ brake kit. It's a bigger rotor and better stopping over stock. You'll need
07+
-caliper brackets
-calipers
-rotors
-pads
And a new spare because the stock 16" won't clear the calipers. I went with r1 cross drilled slotted rotors with their pads not sure of the name but pretty happy with the braking. I've had the 07+ setup for several years now and just recently swapped rotors.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i did the 07 upgrade i went with R-1 E-line drilled and slotted rotors and could not be happier with them. I think i put them on coming up on three years ago with no cracks or warping and the rotor hat is still 100% rust free. I went with posi quiet pads but you can`t go wrong with hawk.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have r1 hawk in the front of my denali. I like it. Makes allot of dust. I tried to change pads to the wherever brand and I ate those up in 7 months down to the sensor and ended putting the hawk pads back on.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R1 rotors are becoming popular on numerous types of vehicles. Side note based on 08grey's comment if your using a performance style rotor really should stick with good brand performance style pads. Normal or even premium stock style pads wont last. Hawk pads are nice but im kinda partial the ebc greenstuff pads on vehicles i own with decent rims. More bite than normal pads they hold up to performance rotors but they have less brake dust.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R1 rotors are becoming popular on numerous types of vehicles. Side note based on 08grey's comment if your using a performance style rotor really should stick with good brand performance style pads. Normal or even premium stock style pads wont last. Hawk pads are nice but im kinda partial the ebc greenstuff pads on vehicles i own with decent rims. More bite than normal pads they hold up to performance rotors but they have less brake dust.

Thanks for your input guys. I told my company that the cost would be similar between doing a normal brake job and an 07+. Still leaning towards r1/hawk. Anyone have better results with one hawk pad versus another? Also just regular 07+ calipers and caliper brackets are fine?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go above the stock calipers and brackets but the price is going to skyrocket when you start going into that. Also most of the time (I'm sure there are a few odd setups) you will need to up the whole setup. You can buy the parts separately but upgraded calipers with brackets generally don't fit stock rotor size and definitely won't use stock pad design. Then depending on the setup you get they may not even fit your rims. If you want a little more than just pads and rotors get a set of braided stainless brake lines. They are more durable and don't swell under heavy braking as per rubber brake lines tend to.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go above the stock calipers and brackets but the price is going to skyrocket when you start going into that. Also most of the time (I'm sure there are a few odd setups) you will need to up the whole setup. You can buy the parts separately but upgraded calipers with brackets generally don't fit stock rotor size and definitely won't use stock pad design. Then depending on the setup you get they may not even fit your rims. If you want a little more than just pads and rotors get a set of braided stainless brake lines. They are more durable and don't swell under heavy braking as per rubber brake lines tend to.
Makes sense. Just thought I read about someone getting their calipers and brackets from an auto parts store. So getting a regular 07 caliper might not work with an 07 hawk pad on an 07 r1 rotor? I'm confused.