Quick Question about Front Hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 2wd. I noticed a clicking from one of the wheels when replaceing the brakes. Do I replace 1 hub or should I do both fronts at the same time?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have an 05 2wd. I noticed a clicking from one of the wheels when replaceing the brakes. Do I replace 1 hub or should I do both fronts at the same time?

It doesn't really matter, but like most things, recommended to do in pairs. I bought 2, did the drivers side when it started screaming, and held off on the passenger side until brake upgrade day. It's really just a maintenence record "keeping similar mileage" thing.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very very slight clicking sound is supposedly normal, as the wheel speed sensors make a very faint click when the sun is spun by hand.
The biggest issue comes when the wheel can wobble up and down or side to side with the truck jacked up. Shake the wheel up and down, then side to side to make sure that there is no play. Even if there is no play, the bearings can still sometimes make a hirrhorr noise while driving, such as a humming sound or sometimes a screaming or squealing sound.
Just did both front hubs on my son's 99 Silverado 2wd and they were humming, and one had a LOT of play in it. They we're also throwing ABS codes for bad wheel speed sensors. So if your ABS light is on, that's another possible sign that you have a bad wheel hub assembly.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like there is one of the bearings missing and it is dry, like the remaining bearings are hitting against each other (if that makes sense). It is not very loud. It definitely is not noticeable while driving and there is no wobble, so perhaps it is just the speed sensor. The truck has 138k miles on it.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got almost 180k on my original hubs on my 2001. I'm guessing certain factors can increase or decrease the life of the hubs, such as off roading, riding on many rough/bumpy roads, or driving on dirt roads. I'm sure that keeping your tires properly balanced will probably help increase the life of the hubs as well.