Question about antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay are you losing trans fluid or coolant because losing trans fluid is a whole different problem

This is a great question.

OP, based on your responses, I'm assuming you're losing BOTH coolant AND transmission fluid.

Regarding the coolant disappearing, are you seeing any coolant on the ground after you drive for a while and then park somewhere? If not, you might have cracked heads that is allowing your coolant to escape.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/139335-castech-cylinder-heads/

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...enance/415693-coolant-loss-castech-heads.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
about20ninj45

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great question. Based on your responses, I'm assuming you're losing BOTH coolant AND transmission fluid.

Regarding the coolant disappearing, are you seeing any coolant on the ground after you drive for a while and then park somewhere? If not, you might have cracked heads that is allowing your coolant to escape.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/139335-castech-cylinder-heads/

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...enance/415693-coolant-loss-castech-heads.html

leaking other thinks, no coolant, no castech heads and no residue around the heads, engine bay is bone dry

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes if your trans cooling lines are loose then that would be your culprit as far as were your coolant is disapearing to
how much trans fluid are down? are you noticing any symptoms like slipping?

OP
OP
about20ninj45

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes if your trans cooling lines are loose then that would be your culprit as far as were your coolant is disapearing to
how much trans fluid are down? are you noticing any symptoms like slipping?

no slipping as of yet with 240k on the dash, but dont jinx it! lol i have plans to install the corvette servo, but figured i wuoldnt do it untill i replaced the trans lines. if i fill the resevior up with coolant, it was stay at that level for 3 days and then drop to the add line, sometimes, its been bone dry. My thermostat seems to be working correctly the only gauge that causes me concern is the temp of the trans going to 200 and staying there. doesnt matter if its winter or summer. In the winter, i use alot more coolant for some reason. Found that out because the heat stopped working one day, added coolant, heat came back lol

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you need to check your cooling systems pressure because that coollant is going somehwere id thoroughly clean your engine like at one of those DIY washes because when i had a leak it was being hidden by caked up dirt and grime. a cooling system with proper coolant level and proper pressure proper working thermostat and fan clutch or e fan should be able to keep your engine and trans at the proper operating temp even in extreme outside air temps like here in arizona

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought the same coolant issue on our 2005 Avalanche. In the end I traced it down to the gasket between the block and water pump. I could never see coolant anywhere but could always smell it burning. In the end I went to my local Chevy dealership and purchased some GM coolant seal tabs. Put those in the coolant reservoir topped of the coolant and fixed now for 30k miles.
GM uses the same seal tabs in the factory to ensure no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
about20ninj45

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought those coolant tabs and stop leak killed radiaotrs and engines

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never heard of those killling yer radiator or engine i have heard of other non traditional methods killing radiators like those quick fixes like ive heard people say eggshells can fix a coolant leak (no no no no no no)

OP
OP
about20ninj45

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still feel like those items are bandaid. No fixing the root cause. Used stop leak one time in my engine...back when i had a wj (jeep) needless to say, i dont have it anymore. The pellet did some bad things to that engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable