Programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe-einn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have anyone tried the Bully-Dog programmer? Or some other programmer?
If so, how did it work out?
I have a 2004 Tahoe 4,8 ltr. gas.

Thanks.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never tried the bully dog, but I have run the hypertech, superchips and the diablo, as far as hp I like the Diablo I ran it until I did a custom tune. If you are looking for hp you should go that route to I recommend a company like Black Bear

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
IF I was ever to get a programmer, i would get a diablo... they seem like the only one that wasnt a peice of shit. But lemme make paint a picture...

I used to buy underwear in the 5 pack... good price, does the job and did it pretty well... untill i bought one of those single sets. Never went back... lol

this is KINDA like a programer, they are jamb packed with one size fits all tuning peramiters and will do nice things for your truck

But immagin if you will plugging your truck into something that downloads all the specific info from YOUR truck and then tunes to accomidate...

thats a custom scan tune! and it was the BEST (and i stress the BEST) $300 i have ever spent on my truck, I saw a VERY noticable power gain, MPG gain, firmer shifts, more fun to drive... etc etc...

Hit up Black Bear Performance, Justin is possibly the most customer service oriented person i have ever worked with and he does GREAT work with his tunes. You jsut wont get the performance and service from a programer that Justin is going to give you

OP
OP
tahoe-einn

tahoe-einn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for info.

A custom tune is to much hastle for me, since I live in other country, I think. Also, I would like to be able to read troble codes and recalibrate speedometer and so on.

I can not find anymore, some reading from someone, that had the Bully Dog programmer, and was very happy with it. He said that he was able to go 100 miles more on the tank, after he got the programmer installed.

A add to HP is always something that I d'not say no to.

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info.

A custom tune is to much hastle for me, since I live in other country, I think. Also, I would like to be able to read troble codes and recalibrate speedometer and so on.

I can not find anymore, some reading from someone, that had the Bully Dog programmer, and was very happy with it. He said that he was able to go 100 miles more on the tank, after he got the programmer installed.

A add to HP is always something that I d'not say no to.

I would venture to say those claims are way high... most hand held programmers are really only good for small racalibrations (tires size, gears, thermostat temp)

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I am not 100% on this so dont quote me.... but i believe you can contact diablo once you buy their programer and they wil upload more peramiters basaed on what your needs are

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if you can get 100 more miles per tank out of any programmer, or any tune for that matter

with a few mild mods (intake, muffler, spark pluggs, fuel filter is all ive done) and a program (custom BB tune) i got an EASY 100 more miles to the tank.

when i bought my hoe last summer the average MPG was 13.8, i reset it, drove it for a week and got about 14.2.... thats the best i did. Now i get between 18 and 20 depending on how much fun i have when i drive.

Basicly, i went from struggling to get 350 miles to a tank to getting 450 without even working hard to do it, and if i baby the gas i can get almost 500. Keeping in mind however, i now have to use 91 octane fuel, which (according to Justin) helps to get better fuel economy.

so its possible, but remember, the driver still controls the accelerator.

Man Van

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bully dog is a great brand. That is what most diesel guys use. Honestly, if I were you I would order a HPtuner, labtop and tune myself. It sounds difficult at first, but with the information and tuning message boards out there it's worth your time. In the long run it will be much cheaper for you. Also allows you to personally try various things before choosing the right tune. Every vehicle responds different to an out of box tune. Think of it this way, let's say you have a baseball team and need to uniforms for everyone. Are you going to just get a one size for everyone or would you individualize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willb