Problems with cylinders 2-4-6-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with my 2001 Tahoe.
This summer I had a problem with cylinder 6, push rod bended, so we removed the cylinder head and and changed valve lifter, push rod, valve lifter guide, new head gasket and bolts.

Once installed, the car runs smooth at start and during some minutes, but suddenly the engine starts to trembling. I have checked and none of the 4 cylinders in passenger side (2/4/6/8) are working then. The time while the car is running well depends (if the car is cold -all night for example- it takes minutes. If car is warm, it fails in few seconds)

There is sparks and gas, but I cannot understand why all of them stop working. Any idea or advice ?

This car is a completely unknown vehicle here in Spain, so I do not know how to continue.
Thanks uin advance

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the condition of the oil? Clean or dirty? Is the oil full? Does it have good oil pressure?

Does the engine make any noises when this happens? If so, record a video and upload to YouTube and post here for us to view.

I understand there is a little bit of a language barrier, but when you say it fails, does the engine stall out (quit running) or try to keep running. Did you verify the operation of the valves with the engine running and valve cover off?

OP
OP
fury78

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the condition of the oil? Clean or dirty? Is the oil full? Does it have good oil pressure?

Does the engine make any noises when this happens? If so, record a video and upload to YouTube and post here for us to view.

I understand there is a little bit of a language barrier, but when you say it fails, does the engine stall out (quit running) or try to keep running. Did you verify the operation of the valves with the engine running and valve cover off?
Many thanks for your complete replay. My answers:
Oil is new, changed after assembled the cylinder head
There is not any noise while cold (during some minutes running after start). Then the car starts instable, engine vibrating. If I try to run, the car runs but at idle or low speed is like I have lost some cylinder. After checks, the 4 cylinders in passengers side are not working.

I Will take a video this weekend and post

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Did you run the engine around and torque all the rocker arms down correctly? Here is the procedure.

1. Install the rocker arm and bolt assembly.
    na-gc-3641500_svg
    Open In New TabZoom/Print

2. Rotate the crankshaft until number 1 piston is at top dead center of compression stroke.
    The engine firing order is 1, 8, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3.
    Cylinders 1, 3, 5, and 7 are left bank.
    Cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8 are right bank.
  3. Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution
  4. With the engine in the number 1 firing position, tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
    1. Tighten the exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 1, 2, 7, and 8 to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).
    2. Tighten the intake valve rocker arm bolts 1, 3, 4, and 5 to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).
  5. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees.
  6. Tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
    • Tighten the exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 3, 4, 5, and 6 to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).
    • Tighten the intake valve rocker arm bolts 2, 6, 7, and 8 to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).
  7. Install the valve rocker arm cover. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side or Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Right Side.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would look for a dirty and/or intermittent ground or power feed in the coil and injector circuits. Maybe a connector that isn't seated quite right or has a pin fitment issue on the passenger side. The whole bank thing is a clue.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look for a dirty and/or intermittent ground or power feed in the coil and injector circuits. Maybe a connector that isn't seated quite right or has a pin fitment issue on the passenger side. The whole bank thing is a clue.

This. Check the ground on the front of the cylinder head, behind the belt tensioner. It's where the battery ground goes to (in factory form).

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a diagnosis in logical order. First check the compression of the cylinders, to make sure that the hardware is okay.

Then, when you have the ignition coil removed, put a spark plug inside, hold the spark plug on the case and look if you have a spark, to check if the problem, is the ignition, or the injection.

Once you found out from where the problem is, it is easier to fix.

But as Flees and iamdub said, check for mass points and check if all connectors are plugged in correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo