Problem After Cleaning Intake Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my AEM dryflow filter out 3 days ago to clean it with water. I tucked a microfiber towel inside the tube to avoid having anything enter inside, and just to be 100% safe, wrapped a grocery bag with a rubber band around it, too. Today, I installed the filter and got a CEL with the usual service traction control/stabilitrak messages.

What could have triggered this? The truck is an '07 Escalade.

Edit: I have the GMPP intake system with an AEM dryflow filter.

Ls1leadfoot

Reaction score
doesnt sound related to the filter cleaning, this could be a good learning thread

subscribed :)

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the GMPP intake, but did you have to remove any wires/connectors? If so, did you reattach all of them? Intake sensors cause all kinds of issues when they aren't working right or aren't hooked up.

Other than that, did you make sure you let the filter completely dry before putting it back on? Moisture in the intake is always bad juju.

OP
OP

604Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Well, I took apart the intake today and found out that I damaged the MAF sensor when I stuffed the tube with a rag so any debris wouldn't go inside. Ordered a new AC delco sensor from rockauto.com for $60.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that'll do it. The MAF wires are pretty delicate. Glad you got it figured out.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, sealing the intake really isn't necessary when all you're doing is cleaning the filter. Unless the engine is running, it's pretty hard for anything to get into the tube.

anton28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Glad you worked it out.

OP
OP

604Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, that'll do it. The MAF wires are pretty delicate. Glad you got it figured out.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, sealing the intake really isn't necessary when all you're doing is cleaning the filter. Unless the engine is running, it's pretty hard for anything to get into the tube.

I had the filter out for 3 days! Next time, I'll only wrap a grocery bag around the tube with a rubber band. Question - can I still drive the truck with the damaged sensor?

And if anyone else is ordering anything from Rock Auto, you can use this code to get 5% off your purchase:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the filter out for 3 days! Next time, I'll only wrap a grocery bag around the tube with a rubber band. Question - can I still drive the truck with the damaged sensor?

And if anyone else is ordering anything from Rock Auto, you can use this code to get 5% off your purchase:

Three days or three months, debris won't magically contaminate your intake unless it's sucked in. If it's dust you're worried about, just wipe out the tube opening with a clean damp (not wet) cloth and you're good to go. That being said, it's your truck and if sealing it makes you feel better, bag it all you want. :)

Sure, you can drive it. The PCM won't be metering incoming air very effectively though, so you're CEL will stay on and you might notice that the truck shifts a little differently and gets a little worse gas mileage. Won't hurt anything in the short term, though.

OP
OP

604Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

After installing new MAF sensor and the cleaned intake filter, all lights have disappeared. It also appears that the rough idle is now gone! 180,000 hard driven miles, and the engine is running smoother than ever. :rockit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubdriven