Portable GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pet982

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone else have reception problems with a portable GPS unit?

I have a 5 (ish) year old Garmin unit that I have never had a problem with except when its in my Tahoe. I'd rather use my Garmin over the factory one because, I can update it quarterly and it gets traffic with no extra fee.

It does not have any problems in any other vehicles (including my dad's Grand Cherokee with keyless ignition), but when in my Tahoe will not get reception at all if its on the console and sometimes when its mounted on the windshield.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has or seen this problem.
2017 LT with luxury package.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Just a thought you might contact Garmin tech support. They’ve probably heard of this if anyone has. I’ve found them very helpful in the past.

I’m going to speculate it’s some sort of radio frequency interference. If yours is like mine it will run a few minutes without the power cord using the internal battery. I’d try it on battery power with the cord removed to eliminate a potential pathway for an interference signal to ride in and see if that helps. Just as a diagnostic measure.

@Sparksalot you have any thoughts?