Dump EFI for Carburetor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'97 Tahoe, 2 door, 4x4, 5.7L Vortec stock motor, 165K miles.

Hello, fellow OBS heap lovers,
Like everyone else here, my rig is aging and requiring lots of hoses, sensors, wires/ connectors, and components be replaced...

I'm old school and still love the simplicity of carbs over EFI and all its BS sensors and attendant problems. So, when I change the intake manifold gaskets, I thought, why not ditch all that EFI crap and put in a new Edlebrock Performer manifold and carb setup?

Watched many YouTube ya'hoos pontificate on this subject. Most agree that they are happy with the change out. Problem, there is much conflicting info on revisions to wiring to get the computer to work correctly. The biggest issue being the shift control of GM's electronic tyranny...

I am aware there needs to be a Throttle Position Sensor on the carb. But, do I need the $700.00 tyranny control box or just alter certain sensor wires? Please advise if you have any "first hand" knowledge to impart. It would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, guys, thanks for the laugh responses! However, I was hoping for some actual information, specific to the conversion...
I'm just an OR RN, not a auto technician. I could really use some first hand knowledge. FYI, the HEI distributor you replace the stock one with, ain't got no points/ condensor. I want to go old school, not ancient.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need the trans controller for sure. The electronically controlled transmissions use all kinds of feedback and calculations from the engine sensors - throttle position, MAF, MAP, rpm, etc. It's not just a make the motor run and the trans will follow. To do that, you'd have to go back to a 700r4 with the throttle cable pressure advance as your only adjustment.

Personally I think carburetors are a waste of time, finicky, and just too ancient to make sense in a daily driver anymore. EFI adjusts to all conditions without you having to remember to pump it twice to set the choke, then pump it to get off high idle when it's cold, etc, etc, etc...

If you are in the PNW, then you have a rust free rig that is totally worth just replacing what was designed and engineered for your truck. It's lasted this long, so replace with all OEM and get another 165k out of it.

I'm not trying to sound judgemental or mean, just years of experience coming out.

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why not throw a 4-speed in it while you're at it and make the old school transition complete?

You would need the trans controller for sure. The electronically controlled transmissions use all kinds of feedback and calculations from the engine sensors - throttle position, MAF, MAP, rpm, etc. It's not just a make the motor run and the trans will follow. To do that, you'd have to go back to a 700r4 with the throttle cable pressure advance as your only adjustment.

Personally I think carburetors are a waste of time, finicky, and just too ancient to make sense in a daily driver anymore. EFI adjusts to all conditions without you having to remember to pump it twice to set the choke, then pump it to get off high idle when it's cold, etc, etc, etc...

If you are in the PNW, then you have a rust free rig that is

If you are in the PNW, then you have a rust free rig that is totally worth just replacing what was designed and engineered for your truck. It's lasted this long, so replace with all OEM and get another 165k out of it.

I'm not trying to sound judgemental or mean, just years of experience coming out.
"B" thanks for input. You made several good points. However, the feedback on Edlebrock's newer EVS2 carb is generally good. Electric choke, annular atomization, and pump customization have all but minimized old carb design flaws.

Several YouTube folks inform that the electronic trannies only need the feedback signal from the Crank Position Sensor (splice in from HEI distributor's RPM port and an aftermarket Throttle Position Sensor added to the carb.

If this is all true, then ridding the engine of all those other sensors would be great, provided the post carb swap yields performance somewhat on par with the EFI system.

Would really appreciate input from anyone that has actually made the switch.

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your truck do what you want. Much better to keep the EFI and ignition you have.
Yes, Eman85, it is my truck, but I don't really know what I want. That's why I am trying to get some info to base my decision on.

I do appreciate all of youll's opinions. Thus far the concensus seems to be, "Keep the EFI"..
Need a carburetor lover to weigh in here, hahA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts