Plus size tires for '99 2WD Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crammit442

Reaction score
I recently inherited my G'mothers '99 2WD Tahoe. I know; very generous! After fixing some ignition issues it runs really well. It will need tires soon. It has OE size 235/75/15's on it now. I personally don't usually consider anything w/o 4WD to actually be a real TRUCK, but I'm going use this almost exclusively for towing a lawn trailer, so it isn't a big issue. It appears that there is lots of room left in there for a considerably taller/bigger tire. What's the general consensus on what will fit w/o any serious scrubbing or suspension work while staying with the stock 15" wheels. Its not going to be big money tires. Just something that fills the wheel wells a bit more and will give it a more aggressive stance. One other question that's likely to open a can of worms. The suspension on this feels about like soft boogers. It towes my trailer really well (5500ish/500ish TW), but I can watch the rear end drop several inches as it takes the trailer weight. Any super cheap add a leaf or air lift kind of solutions to firm things up a bit w/o REAL suspension work? I'm used to driving a '97 4runner and it's suspension is quite rigid compared. Don't have much $ for this'd, but I'd like to avoid looking like a girl a much as possible.:( Thanks for any help in advance.
Chsrles

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have leaf springs in the rear, you can disassemble the packs, and slip 2 or 3 leaves in between the existing leaves - it will give you about a 2-2 1/2" lift, AND it will stiffen the rear end up considerably. I did this on my old '90 2wd Suburban, I was able to carry over 40 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock without bottoming out. When towing, a 5000lb trailer made it squat a bit.... like less than an inch.

As far as the front, I believe you have spindles?
4" lift spindles here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-99-Subur...ash=item3f75bbcb99:g:gusAAOSwA3dYgAp3&vxp=mtr

If the front is higher than the rear, you can add another leaf, or slip a block in between the leaves and the axle. Just be sure to use NEW U-bolts.

As far as tires, I'm pretty sure you could fit some 33's on there, dunno if 12.50 wides would require some metal trimming. A 33x10.50x15 would be great, or if you wanted to step up to 16" rims, 285/75/16's would fit.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The factory wheels are 15x7 and are run close to a FWD offset, so you're a bit limited on how wide you can go before you're rubbing. That said, you can run a 31x10.50x15 (265/75/15) on the factory wheels without any modifications, but that's about the largest on the factory setup...you may have some frame rub at full lock, but no trimming needed.

OP
OP
C

crammit442

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to just get a pair of stock size tires because the fronts are pretty bad and then look at real tire/wheel options when I replace all four. I may look at just adding a leaf or two and see what that does to help with the rear sag. I've got a good trunnion bar WD hitch that will completely make it actually ride level. It works VERY well, but its a bit of a hassle if you connect/disconnect the trailer frequently. Once I decide whether I'm repairing or replacing my 4runner, the Tahoe will be used almost exclusively for towing the lawn trailer and just leaving the WD hitch on all he time will most likely be the best option for actually towing correctly. I've just got to wire it for trailer brakes and get level and I think it's going to be just about perfect for what I need. Thanks again.
Charles

OP
OP
C

crammit442

Reaction score
For leaves, should I just go to pull a part and get a couple of leaves from a similar generation Tahoe to use? Any other or cheaper/better source for a couple of leaves per side? Thanks much for the help. The rear end of this truck is REALLY soft!
Charles

[QUOTE="BigDaddy13440, post: 1128981, member: 1592"]You have leaf springs in the rear, you can disassemble the packs, and slip 2 or 3 leaves in between the existing leaves - it will give you about a 2-2 1/2" lift, AND it will stiffen the rear end up considerably. I did this on my old '90 2wd Suburban, I was able to carry over 40 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock without bottoming out. When towing, a 5000lb trailer made it squat a bit.... like less than an inch.

As far as the front, I believe you have spindles?
4" lift spindles here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-99-Suburban-95-99-Tahoe-Yukon-4-Lift-Spindles-2WD-ONLY-/272558181273?fits=Model:Tahoe&hash=item3f75bbcb99:g:gusAAOSwA3dYgAp3&vxp=mtr

If the front is higher than the rear, you can add another leaf, or slip a block in between the leaves and the axle. Just be sure to use NEW U-bolts.

As far as tires, I'm pretty sure you could fit some 33's on there, dunno if 12.50 wides would require some metal trimming. A 33x10.50x15 would be great, or if you wanted to step up to 16" rims, 285/75/16's would fit.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
C

crammit442

Reaction score
Bump. To be sure I'm asking the right question, do I just grab a couple of leaves off another Tahoe at pull a part? If so, do I want the shorter or longer leaves out off the donor leaf pack? Thanks much!

Charles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645