Plasti Dip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sikyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so came across something interesting that many of you may be into or may have heard of. I am very familiar with people using wrap as a way to change the color of your car (especially matte colors) without actually paining it. This is a great alternative but also very expensive and also hard to fix if damaged because you cant just fix a small part.

This weekend I came across a company here in Southern California that is able to plasti-dip your entire car any color! I went there and got a demo of the product and was very impressed. They spray it on the car with a paint gun, and the car is ready same day. They can do any color in gloss or matt. The end result leaves a very good color with no fade or anything, and believe it or not does not have the rubbery feel to it like plasti-dip usually does. It does however have a little texture unlike wrap but its not extremely noticeable unless u run your hand on it. The best part is that its MUCH cheaper. I have gotten a quote for my yukon for a wrap and they wanted 3500+. This company wanted 1000$ including door jams! Do a google search there is a lot of info on it.

ALL IN ALL I may be doing this soon, but before I do anybody ever heard of it? Have it? or have any comments about it?

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely confused your title says "Plasti Dip" then you say "and believe it or not does not have the rubbery feel to it like plasti-dip usually does". So it is Plasti Dip or something else? Either way $1000 for dip seems to be excessive. This is somewhat of a new fad and people are going to be making a lot of money dipping people's rides who don't invest the time to realize it can be easily done DIY. Go to http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php if you really want to invest some time in researching all things dipped

on second thought gallon sales of Plasti Dip are prohibited in CA so your price may be valid since the company dipping is taking the risk of getting the PD in CA in excess of what is legally aloud

OP
OP

1sikyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely confused your title says "Plasti Dip" then you say "and believe it or not does not have the rubbery feel to it like plasti-dip usually does". So it is Plasti Dip or something else? Either way $1000 for dip seems to be excessive. This is somewhat of a new fad and people are going to be making a lot of money dipping people's rides who don't invest the time to realize it can be easily done DIY. Go to http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php if you really want to invest some time in researching all things dipped

on second thought gallon sales of Plasti Dip are prohibited in CA so your price may be valid since the company dipping is taking the risk of getting the PD in CA in excess of what is legally aloud

The product they use is plasti-dip, but they mix it with another product to take away that rubbery feel that other plasti-dips products have such as tool handles. Also yes you are right I am sure it could be done by yourself but (1) plasti-dip the company doesnt sell any color you want, this company mixes it offering any color both in gloss and matte, (2) you will never get it to look good out of a rattle can you need to get the plasti-dip thinned out and sprayed out of a gun like paint so its even coats and looks smooth, (3) I dont have a clean room where I can paint my entire truck which is extremely important when painting. What i am saying is getting a giant sticker (wrap) put on your car for 4000$ is INSANE, and obviously painting your car is also expensive and permanent, so this may be a good alternative which is A LOT more cost friendly and not permanent.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

What is the name of this outfit?

here is a video of the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jayyTUy3GTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCuSNs9U50

Last edited:

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The product they use is plasti-dip, but they mix it with another product to take away that rubbery feel that other plasti-dips products have such as tool handles. Also yes you are right I am sure it could be done by yourself but (1) plasti-dip the company doesnt sell any color you want, this company mixes it offering any color both in gloss and matte, (2) you will never get it to look good out of a rattle can you need to get the plasti-dip thinned out and sprayed out of a gun like paint so its even coats and looks smooth, (3) I dont have a clean room where I can paint my entire truck which is extremely important when painting. What i am saying is getting a giant sticker (wrap) put on your car for 4000$ is INSANE, and obviously painting your car is also expensive and permanent, so this may be a good alternative which is A LOT more cost friendly and not permanent.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

here is a video of the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jayyTUy3GTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCuSNs9U50

They don't mix anything "special" into it they just thin it to make it spray smoother and have better control of dispersion versus rattle can

1) dipyourcar offers tons of "stock" colors and also sells "tint kits" to give you any color you could ever want

2) absolutely not true, this is PD out of a rattle can on my Escalade (door molding)
20121208_234234.jpg

3) you don't need a clean room for PD. You do need one to use real automotive paint but it is not absolutely required for PD. Plenty of dippers doing it in their driveway

still though your biggest hurdle would be getting the dip yourself since DipYourCar cannot sell/ship gallons or larger to CA

one thing you're not accounting for (atleast you didn't post about) as well is you'll never ever be able to drive through a car wash nor wash it at the local spray wash it yourself places. Dip has to be specially washed with certain mits, chemicals/soaps and requires meticulous attention and care. I have many dipped items on my rides and in small quantities it is easily managed but I'd never dip a full vehicle because the upkeep is simply too much for me as I am extremely meticulous about the cleanliness of my vehicles

Last edited:

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, im with baggedlvintegra. Sprayed my stuff in my garage and will be spraying my camaro this summer. I've been studying though. You can spray clear down l right, and have it protected a little better? Don't remember how many coats. I know it makes it a little harder to peel off.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind if special care do you need? I have my grill dipped and have just been doing my normal hand wash regiment.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On autogeek they just use a matte detailer for plastidipped wheels

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, im with baggedlvintegra. Sprayed my stuff in my garage and will be spraying my camaro this summer. I've been studying though. You can spray clear down l right, and have it protected a little better? Don't remember how many coats. I know it makes it a little harder to peel off.

Yes real spray paint clear will make it harder to peel, but they have actually made huge leaps in the Plastdip Liquid Glossifier realm to where it comes out looking almost as shiney as real clear coat, but retains all the aspects of Plastidip. Check out DYC's latest video and see how easy it is to clean (3:55 mark) with the Liquid Glossifier on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHo3BdAQjM

What kind if special care do you need? I have my grill dipped and have just been doing my normal hand wash regiment.

For small pieces like that a normal gentle hand wash is fine, just don't go overboard scrubbing it. I always use a microfiber hand mit on my BMW wheels and works great.

On autogeek they just use a matte detailer for plastidipped wheels

For the flat black ONLY, Armorall does WONDERS. Just hand wash with microfiber mit and Armorall the whole thing and it will look just like the day you sprayed it. Again I did this to the wheels on my BMW every time I washed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAyVfuTlFrw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmstar

Latest posts