Painting center caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdrag450r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anyone black out their center caps? Are they steel? Do they have to be stripped first? I have access to a blaster but have had troubles with chrome in the past.
Thanks

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you want to paint chrome... sandblast it first then use a "self etching" primer and then paint.

Works great without issues... it's all in the prep work... lol

OP
OP
Blackdrag450r

Blackdrag450r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do I have to blast the chrome completely off? I have had issues in the past with not being able to get all of the chrome to come off.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasti-dip rubberized spray will stick to clean chrome great. I use it all the time, and you can simply peel it back off.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Do I have to blast the chrome completely off? I have had issues in the past with not being able to get all of the chrome to come off.

No... just enough to scuff it up and help the self etching primer to get an even better bite.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the best thing about Plasti-dip, no scuffing or primer needed, just spray it and it will stick.

kbuskill

Reaction score
That's the best thing about Plasti-dip, no scuffing or primer needed, just spray it and it will stick.

Plastidip is definitely a great product... I have used it on lots of chrome pieces on my motorcycle before. I just assumed the OP wanted a permanent solution.

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I just joined, but you can soak the center caps in easy off oven cleaner. The lemon stuff. Does not hurt the plastic and takes all the chrome off. Just wash real well with some warm soapy water afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n