p0446?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misspooh

Reaction score
does anyone know what this code means. p0446 evap emission control system vent circuit malfunction. i'm lost.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely youy have an emissions solenoid / valve that is stuck open.

Emissions are a pain in the butt to figure out. We have a smoke machine at my shop to find where the leaks are, but even then, finding the solenoid that is stuck open is very difficult. I've discovered the easiest way to figure out what valve/solenoid is bad is to call the dealer, ask them the most common emissions peice they sell on the vehicle, then have my tech test that piece...

OP
OP
M

misspooh

Reaction score
i cleared the code and it hasn't come back on yet. i guess i'll have to figure it out when the light comes back on. thanks for responding. now i get to take care of the service 4 wheel drive light that just came on.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I saw a Tahoe do that it was a problem with the fuel tank filler tube. Not the filler neck, but the tube on it's way to the actual tank had rusted through a tiny bit on it's top surface. Great thing is that piece is no longer available by GM or anyone else aftermarket. Clean it and seal it up with some kind of epoxy or cut it all out and replace with flexible fuel filler hose.

It could also be an issue with your gas cap. If it's original and the neck opening is kind of dirty/corroded, clean it up with scotchbrite pad and put on a new gas cap for $7.00. See if it stays off or comes back in a week or so.

Smoke test at the dealer will show what the issue is with the fuel tank, filler pipes, etc.

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this same code since I replaced my fuel pump a few months ago. Can it cause any problems or is it strictly emissions?

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emissions leaks are basically fuel vapor leaks. They usually occur when a solenoid goes bad and stays open allowing vapors to vent constantly. If your optimal fuel economy is important, then yes it can cause problems.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
misspooh, you may have slightly damaged an old hose/vacuum/emissions line when the fuel tank was pulled down to replace the pump. If the emissions code comes back, thats where I would start. Without a tester to fill the system with smoke, it will be difficult to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts