P0440 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
My scan gauge II for the second time has picked up on a "service engine soon" light. I think it's a problem with the gas cap am I right? I just cleared the code so I don't have the "SES" light on anymore.

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
I thought I might get this gas cap / door aftermarket. Just replace it all you know? Think it looks pretty cool
ami_fuel_door_black.jpg

Link > http://www.autoanything.com/chrome-accessories/61A1996A0A0A2385029.aspx

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
Actually, this code can be set due to more than just a faulty gas cap, although I would start there since it is the easiest and cheapest fix, but also check underhood for any missing or broken EVAP lines (plastic ones), cracked or damaged EVAP canister, vacuum hoses and also check the wiring harness for any kinks, open circuits etc.

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Thanks man. I will tomorrow. This is nothing to be worried about though right?

jayman8200

Reaction score
i have this code too, havent changed out the gas cap, but checking the EVAP lines, where do i start, im not real engine savy, but can figure it out pretty quick. can you post a pic of where i need to look?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

also if it isnt the gas cap, i did notice when i sea foamed last weekend that a little smoke was coming from somewhere in the front middle, would that be a leak in the EVAP lines or have something to do with the intake manifold gasket?

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about Matt, as long as you dont have to pass inspection! lol

Jason look the the pastic lines that are on the driver side front area, youll see a black square box next to the radiator, check the plastic hoses running to that box and check the canister itself. Also, check the lines that run all the way from the tank, make sure they are not pinched, cracked or damaged. Last but not least, the connection at the gas tank could also be loose, or damaged. But start with the easy stuff like gas cap etc.

aarenlainey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One or more of the following has happened:

* The gas cap is not installed or working properly
* The purge solenoid has failed
* The canister is plugged and not working properly

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was my gas cap, every time I get gas I make it click like 10 times when tightening it and I don't get the code anymore.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One or more of the following has happened:

* The gas cap is not installed or working properly
* The purge solenoid has failed
* The canister is plugged and not working properly

Another cause is topping off your fuel.

I've had this code for months now. Its killing me. I have 30 days to clear it and resolve this issue before my inspection.
I'm going to order a new OE gas cap and check everything BUT, I have a tendecy to top off my tank. I have a bad feeling that I need to go deeper to figre mine out.