over drive issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off i bought my truck when it was cold out, so now that it is warming up on the warmer days only between 40-50mph the rpms surge(transmission), if u drop into third the issues goes away.50mph and up it is fine! on that note, when u first drive the truck , for the first couple miles even on the highway the overdrive will not kick in until a few minutes down the road(about 4-5 minutes). so please give some ideas on what this is. transmission was rebuilt 25,000 miles ago when the previou sowner had it.

forgot to mention it does not throw any codes, i have scanned for them various times and even right after it happens

Last edited:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the TCC solenoid ... how do you know for sure it was rebuilt??

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recall reading somewhere that the computer won't let it go into OD while in closed loop. (before it warms up) i take it it only does it before the truck is at normal operating temp?

someone correct me if im wrong.

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
retorg- i am absolutely 110% sure , i bought the truck from my buddy and is the tcc solenoid in the pan?
96ProCompTahoe- this happens even with the truck fully warmed

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

also the cruise control works flawlesslyexcept for 40-50 mph so i have dobts on it being the brake switch, but the again this is out of my league right now

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Open loop no tc lock, closed loop but tranny fluid cold no lock up. the hunting sound like a small pressure leak in tc circuit or pressure drop off. Doesn't feel like a shudder?

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess u could say a shudder it is more of a surging feeling and the tach goes with it

also would a shift kit fix the problems ur saying like the transgo hd2

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it will fix all the drawbacks of design but what you describe a seloniod malfunctioning or the 3-4 or forward clutch is slipping. the kit should address below:

Corrects/Prevents/Reduces:
FIXES Code 1870 Trouble light & Hard 1-2 shift.
No lockup or 4th. Shuttle shifts.
Fixes harmonic pressure bounce that wears out pumps and valves.
Fwd and L/R clutch burn up; 1-2 bump; double bump; slide-bump.
Has new design Isolator/Conv Valve that works perfect
in worn bore w/o special tools or machining.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recall reading somewhere that the computer won't let it go into OD while in closed loop. (before it warms up) i take it it only does it before the truck is at normal operating temp?

someone correct me if im wrong.

You have open loop and closed loop backwards.

i guess u could say a shudder it is more of a surging feeling and the tach goes with it

also would a shift kit fix the problems ur saying like the transgo hd2

If your buddy rebuilt it, it should have had a shift correction kit already in it. If your buddy did the tear down and rebuild himself and didn't do a shift kit, you have a junk tranny in your truck. :D

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he didnt do it himself a transmission shop rebuilt it, i have no clue what is in it, and the shop doesnt tell me shit

so what are we leaning towards the problem is and how to correct it and how do i even start diagnosing?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz