Original Factory Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I bought my 2014 Yukon SLT back in July completely stock. 41k miles. This weekend i noticed that the previous owner install aftermarket HID headlights. The right side has started to flicker, and i just do not have a good feeling about the stability of the lights. Any idea on how these could be wired, and how i should go back and install the factory original head light bulbs. Thanks as always for your wisdom and support of this group. Curtis

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most systems are plug-and-play so cutting of the factory wiring isn't necessary. Hopefully this is what you have. The p-n-p kits have a plug on the ballast (ignitor, transformer etc) that is the same as the connector on the original bulb. You unplug the factory harness from the bulb in the headlight assembly and replace the bulb with the HID bulb just as you would when replacing a standard bulb with another standard bulb. You plug the ballast into the HID bulb then plug the factory harness into the ballast. Reverting back to the factory setup is simply the reverse.

The PO may have installed a relay harness to power the HIDs off the battery. This means there will be more wiring to disconnect and remove, but still, no wiring should've been cut. The flickering could be a bulb going out or due to insufficient voltage, which is what the relay harness is for. So, you probably don't have a relay harness.

If you're not sure, see if the wiring going to the ballast is the Yukon's factory headlight harness. If not, trace it back to see if it goes to a relay harness. The factory headlight harness should be plugged into that (to trigger the relay) and there should be a larger red wire coming off the battery or fuse box going to the relay(s). Post pics if need be.

OP
OP
curtnc

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most systems are plug-and-play so cutting of the factory wiring isn't necessary. Hopefully this is what you have. The p-n-p kits have a plug on the ballast (ignitor, transformer etc) that is the same as the connector on the original bulb. You unplug the factory harness from the bulb in the headlight assembly and replace the bulb with the HID bulb just as you would when replacing a standard bulb with another standard bulb. You plug the ballast into the HID bulb then plug the factory harness into the ballast. Reverting back to the factory setup is simply the reverse.

The PO may have installed a relay harness to power the HIDs off the battery. This means there will be more wiring to disconnect and remove, but still, no wiring should've been cut. The flickering could be a bulb going out or due to insufficient voltage, which is what the relay harness is for. So, you probably don't have a relay harness.

If you're not sure, see if the wiring going to the ballast is the Yukon's factory headlight harness. If not, trace it back to see if it goes to a relay harness. The factory headlight harness should be plugged into that (to trigger the relay) and there should be a larger red wire coming off the battery or fuse box going to the relay(s). Post pics if need be.

iamdub, thank you very much for the info. tonight i took a good look and the system is a opt-7, the man at the auto zone helped me, the questions seems to be, the led or hid is only on the low beam, and the high beam looks to be a normal light. however looking from the outside in only looks like one bulb. tonight i went to the web site for opt 7 and ask about a replacement bulb, looking at the web site they seem to be a pretty reputable company and product however i think i would be more comfortable with the original bulbs back in, looks like i would just have to unhook the system and remove the bulbs, my yukon uses one bulb for both high beam and low beams.

OP
OP
curtnc

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
after some internet surfing i found my system its called a Blitz Bullet DC HID Kit, very low cost but now discontinued. Kit looks pretty simple so it should not be a big deal to take out and replace with original bulbs,

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you consider keeping that system the flicker is most likely a bad ballast, you can easily determine this by swapping the bulbs from left to right sides and see if the problem persist on the same side or if it is actually the bulb.

OP
OP
curtnc

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you consider keeping that system the flicker is most likely a bad ballast, you can easily determine this by swapping the bulbs from left to right sides and see if the problem persist on the same side or if it is actually the bulb.

Great Idea, Thank you

OP
OP
curtnc

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great Idea, Thank you

Good News!!! Yesterday I was able to remove the aftermarket systems, and it was just like iamdub said, the wiring harness came right out along with the bulbs. I was able to replace the with sylvania blue tip bulbs they connected perfectly. After installing the bulbs I cranked the Yukon and they came on!!!! Thank you to everyone for the good advise and support, as i tackled this project. You guys are the BEST, Have a Blessed Sunday.
Curtis

dro45

Reaction score
How did you feel about the light output of the Sylvania bulbs compared to the ones you removed?

OP
OP
curtnc

curtnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you feel about the light output of the Sylvania bulbs compared to the ones you removed?
I like the Sylvania, low beams are good, not much to the hi beams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yote1