Opinions on 2007+ Tahoe z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. Sounds good.

In your guys' opinion - is the tranny difference a deal breaker if I can get a 07-08 for a better price with options than a 09-10?

Keep the opinions coming! Anything u guys can think of that I might need to know...are there any common mods that everyone does? Leveling? HIDs?

Well that depends on what you want. All I can tell you about my 6 speed is what I've seen in over a year of driving it. I will never go back to a four speed. It doesn't need programming or anything else. You just need to understand what it is and how to drive it. It is different than a four, it is suppose to be. If you notice everyone that knocks them has a four,what do you expect. The content in the '09 and '10 is better that previous years. If that puts it out of your price range then go for an older year, if not go for the newer years.

OP
OP
STZombie

STZombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think the slight differences in performance will be a deal breaker for me. I can't go too far over 33K in price, so that puts most 09 models out. However, reliability is more of a concern - do the pre-09 models have any particular problems (such as with the 4-speed tranny) that are commonly reported? (aside from the body plastics issue) because if that were the case maybe an 09 will be worth shelling out the extra 2-3K for..Though as Zed 71 mentioned there's probably not too much data available yet for 09 models to determine problems..

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent noticed any major problems with my 07. As for the 4 speed vs. the 6 speed I would just say that maybe you should test drive a couple of tahoes and see which you prefer.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the slight differences in performance will be a deal breaker for me. I can't go too far over 33K in price, so that puts most 09 models out. However, reliability is more of a concern - do the pre-09 models have any particular problems (such as with the 4-speed tranny) that are commonly reported? (aside from the body plastics issue) because if that were the case maybe an 09 will be worth shelling out the extra 2-3K for..Though as Zed 71 mentioned there's probably not too much data available yet for 09 models to determine problems..

I don't know. People say the 4 speed breaks a lot, but I don't have experience with them. I am sure that if you get one that has been taken care of you'll be fine. Even with the 4 spd.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that depends on what you want. All I can tell you about my 6 speed is what I've seen in over a year of driving it. I will never go back to a four speed. It doesn't need programming or anything else. You just need to understand what it is and how to drive it. It is different than a four, it is suppose to be. If you notice everyone that knocks them has a four,what do you expect. The content in the '09 and '10 is better that previous years. If that puts it out of your price range then go for an older year, if not go for the newer years.

I agree the 6-speed is supposed to be better, but the shift programming leaves something to be desired. Here is my impression of the 6-speed: It shifts to 6th gear real fast and hates coming out of 6th gear. It's constantly lugging before it downshifts and it vibrates if it lugs too long. When you do get it to drop down it screams. It seems to drop from 6 to 2nd gear. There are posts sharing the same experience.

What's there to understand? It's an automatic. I have driven many six speed autos and the programming is much better. In the end, Justin at Blackbear can greatlly improve this.

NolaTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 07. The only problem I had was my rear end blew out at like 18,000 miles but the warranty covered it and it was one of those fluke things never had a problem since I got almost 50k on it now.

OP
OP
STZombie

STZombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree the 6-speed is supposed to be better, but the shift programming leaves something to be desired. Here is my impression of the 6-speed: It shifts to 6th gear real fast and hates coming out of 6th gear. It's constantly lugging before it downshifts and it vibrates if it lugs too long. When you do get it to drop down it screams. It seems to drop from 6 to 2nd gear. There are posts sharing the same experience.

What's there to understand? It's an automatic. I have driven many six speed autos and the programming is much better. In the end, Justin at Blackbear can greatlly improve this.

I see. Thanks for the explanation..I'll have to see if I can find a 6-speed to try out. So far all the ads I've seen are for pre-09 4-speed trannies.

The third row also seems to be a very popular option on the z71s..5 out of 6 ads had them. While not a big concern since I could just take the seats out and leave them in my basement when I needed more cargo space..I thought this was odd.

Also, it seems like some listings fail to mention the z71 as a significant aspect and I have to go by pictures of the wheels and the skidplate to tell that is a z71 and not just an "LT" as it was labeled.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love mine - 3+ years old, bought new, now just under 30K miles. Only thing I didn't like was OEM Bridgestone - replaced with same size 18" Goodyear Wranglers which are great. Only "problem" I have had is with the rear window defroster tabs coming off glass - after third time, Chevy replaced rear hatch window and so far so good. Also had to have sensor replaced for URPA system. Otherwise, Z71 handles great in Chicago winters and look a little more distinct than all the other LTZs you always see. I know the 2010s now are coming out with the original Z71 wheels but also have the two tone leather seats - black/grey or ebony/titanium as chevy calls them. Stopped with those I think in 2009. You won't be disappointed with any of the NNBS in my opinion. Much nicer than my previous Tahoe - 1997 LT. Good luck with your search and purchase.

OP
OP
STZombie

STZombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Love mine - 3+ years old, bought new, now just under 30K miles. Only thing I didn't like was OEM Bridgestone - replaced with same size 18" Goodyear Wranglers which are great. Only "problem" I have had is with the rear window defroster tabs coming off glass - after third time, Chevy replaced rear hatch window and so far so good. Also had to have sensor replaced for URPA system. Otherwise, Z71 handles great in Chicago winters and look a little more distinct than all the other LTZs you always see. I know the 2010s now are coming out with the original Z71 wheels but also have the two tone leather seats - black/grey or ebony/titanium as chevy calls them. Stopped with those I think in 2009. You won't be disappointed with any of the NNBS in my opinion. Much nicer than my previous Tahoe - 1997 LT. Good luck with your search and purchase.

Thanks for the input Rich!
I was wondering if you might be able to answer one question for me - what are your MPG's like?

I know these trucks tend to get somewhere between 15-20mpg (based on the EPA estimates), but I really don't intend to do much 'heavy' hauling (the occasional outing with 3-4 friends and maybe a hundred or so pounds of gear, other than that just around town and alot of highway driving) so maybe I'll do a little better?

Also - can you comment on the ride quality/road noise? I've tested a straight up LT tahoe, but not one with the z71 package, is the ride better with the beefier suspension?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mileage when I first got it (no mods) was ~16 city and ~19 highway. BTW I have the 4.10 final drive - some say it helps and others say it doesn't. But from discussions with other members, it seems like V4 mode kicks in more often with the 4.10s. Others think it was due to the engine being in a favorable portion of the powerband.

As far as ride, the Z71 suspension feels firmer with less roll. I really prefer this type of ride. The Z71 suspension uses stiffer dampening shocks, but I am not sure on the spring rate. I know the NBS uses different spring rates based on Z71 and third row seating. I assume this would be the case for at least the NNBS Z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia