OEM Nav/Radio plugs in the rear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some ‘used’ radios are unlocked from ebay meaning plug them in and they grab your vin and work, others if not unlocked will not work until you have them programmed to your vin. That said, chevy dealers have been know to say yes they can do it then ‘brick’ the unit and its garbage at that point.

Hmm.. that's scary. Maybe I need to send it to someone/dealer that actually knows how to do it?
There is a guy/company that does nothing but GM radios/Nav, maybe I should check with them. I paid $600 for my radio, don't like to see that destroyed.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I had the right cable, but I don't think this is the right one? I took a closer look at the USB plug in the back, here's a pic.

Ron

IMG_20180124_164944023.jpg

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to swap the radios today, but it seems that the radios are not "plug compatible" So I guess I need some sort of harness to convert from the basic radio to the newer nav radio?

What is in there is the GM 20934592 radio and I want to replace it with the GM 22997866. Any ideas of where to get that harness/kit?

IMG_20180126_123614046_HDR.jpg IMG_20180126_123625770.jpg

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try ebay?

well I actually tried a "OEM radios" guy... instead of buying a bunch of wrong parts, I rather pay a bit more and get the right ones (and be able to return if they're not)

The conversions seems to be pretty specific

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I did get the wiring harness, but it has a bunch more plugs then I expected..

I'll attach a pic, where I numbered the plugs.

Connector 1 and connector 2 seem to be the same as that the basic radio has. The antenna adapter is to the left (next to it is an additional USB cable that I ordered. The yellow connector at the bottom seems to be for video, backup camera?. The gps connector goes to the blue socket.

What I wonder is, what are connector 3,4 and 5,6 and 7 for ? The green wire/lead I have seen in a youtube video, it connects to the cars speed sensor-wire?

It looks like, it seems, a bunch of connectors are simply not used, or are for different model/make vehicle?

any input would be great.

Ron

nav-radio-harness.jpg

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Om Star and/or blue tooth, Remember what I said in another one of these posts Some of this stuff cant easily be added,

Ron you definetly have my interest now.

I am figuring this out as I am going with it. I am pretty sure the golden connector is the XM radio one (which I don't have/want, you need an extra receiver and antenna for that.) The blue one is the GPS antenna. The two black ones, in the harness, take the two plugs the basic radio has (the basic radio only has two plugs + antenna, so my wild guess is it will make the AM/FM part work) The AM/FM antenna goes in with an adapter too. GPS only needs an antenna, so I expect that to work too. Of course DVD and CD-audio etc, doesn't need anything else (probably)

So I guess, AM/FM, CD audio, DVD, and GPS should work. The other connectors (wild guess) are for the rear seat audio etc. (if that would ever work).

I am sending the radio to a "OEM radio guy", that will unlock it for me.

The dealership wanted $247 for unlocking the radio (even if they couldn't get it to work or permanently lock it, I still had to pay it.) They also told me they had to re-program all the RPO-codes... (my reaction was: "Whaaaattt????". (oh and it was between $3 - $5 per code, depending on the code.

Pretty sure it's a rip off, so I am sending it in, the OEM guy guarantees it will work in my vehicle after they are done with reprogramming it.

After it 'all' works, I might be up for an experiment and see if I can get the harness that runs through the console and hooks up the rear audio. I read in some description (the conversion harness will retain the optional installed rear dvd and rear audio). If that harness is not too terribly expensive, I might just get one and give it a try.

Anyway, I'll keep this updated, if anyone is interested.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, installed the re-programmed Nav-Radio ... it looks a little "The Matrix" but so far i am happy; here are the pics.

IMG_20180209_181754103.jpg IMG_20180209_181800512.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts