Noticed something scary today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I should be tackling this project this weekend, weather permitting. I picked up both plates for 11.57 each from rock auto. They also had 2 piece plates, that if you cut the old ones off, maybe you don't have to pull the axle to install the new ones? I didn't go with them though.. I'll find out how bad it is this weekend. Sucks though, I just loaded the rear with royal purple not to long ago, and now I'm gonna have to drain it again :(

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's rough. Pull the axle out just to bolt on some stupid dust covor. This might be something that I'll do later in the year when I hit 100,000 miles. I will be doing a bunch of maintenance then and will be draining the rear end anyway.

blue70 let me know how it goes man!

Reaction score
Harm? It depends how badly rotted out the plate is. Right now my plate is rotted in such a way that Metal Shards are rubbing my new rotors and making score marks on them, not to mention the scraping noise. And since the plate has no structural integrity left in it, it is bent/warped in such a way that it is putting pressure on the rotor and causing uneven brake wear. I'll see if I can snap some pictures tomorrow when it's all apart, but my dad's helping me out, and he doesn't exactly have the patience to wait for me to take pictures, so I'll see what I can do :)

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a shard of rust from the cover scraping against the inside of my rim. Looking forward to your results blue70

Reaction score
Just got home. Took about 3 hours to do using a lift. You can definitely do this at home with a big floor jack and some tall stands, but you're going to have to have the patience of a saint to do it. The process was fairly straightforward with not many tools being needed. I took pictures of the whole process, as surprisingly my dad took the time to let me take the pics along the way. I'm gonna be posting a how to on this hopefully later today when I get some more time. For now, Tools needed to tackle this job are gonna be;
5/16 wrench
13mm wrench
14mm wrench
18mm wrench
flat head screwdriver
magnet on a stick (for axle c clips)
needle-nose
and preferably needle-nose vise grips

And that's all assuming you're using basic hand tools. Impact guns, Air ratchets and even basic swivel sockets definitely help, but you can do the job without them..

More later

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, awesome friggin' job! Look like kind of a pain in the ass, but I'm thinking that will be a job for this summer maybe. We will see. Thanks a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukk