No reverse (backup) lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I have a similar issue. No reverse lights.

Difference is my transmission indications are correct, including the engine only starting in park and neutral.

Could it be the same cause?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Possibly. The switch contacts can still break. They are on separate contacts in the switch. But follow the fuse power to each connector, switch or socket downstream to find the fault.

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I would like to use that information you posted Sunlit, but the pictures. Every time I visit this thread I see a different set of pictures. Right now it's a serpentine layout for something, a 5-speed trans, and some other stuff. Earlier I'm pretty sure it was some Corolla stuff and random wiring diagrams. Yesterday, a family picture, no joke.

What switches should I check for these lights?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yeah I still have a few posts like that running around here. BTW, family picture? Know nothing about that. I sent you a message regarding the switch.

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I fixed my lights. After replacing the switch with the instructions provided by Sunlit I still didn't have lights. My logic was, both back up lights wouldn't burn out at the same time. To make sure I pulled the turn light bulbs out and switched them with the reverse lights.

:emotions122:

Both bulbs had burned out. What are the chances of that? So, now I have a brand new $50 neutral/park switch which works no better than the old and a new set of $10 bulbs, which were the problem in the first place.

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry about the revival of a dead thread but i'm having a similar issue.
The difference is when I put it in reverse the volt meter/amp gauge goes way down to around 9. Only happens in reverse and worked fine a few days ago.
Would it be the switch on the trans like SunlitComet said before? Thanks for the help guys, just looking for a place to start really.

I replaced the battery and the bolts/connectors already as well as a body to frame ground

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
on fuse #20 turn/b-u light and test the power on both sides of fuse. they should match if you have current system voltage there but it drops to 9 volt on the other side of the switch that it is likely the switch or corrosion somewhere. but even then if that voltage got to the bulbs you would think you would at least see them very dim. where do you see this 9 volts and can you disconnect the harness underneath the rear and test it there and at the switch? the rear disconnect is on the left frame rail to the left of spare tire if a 4-dr and the circuit is a light green wire.

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

btw any glitches with the neutral safety function?

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where do you see this 9 volts and can you disconnect the harness underneath the rear and test it there and at the switch?

I see the 9 volts at the instrument cluster. I forgot to mention that I bought the Tahoe with trailer wiring that had scotch locks on it and he used the large white wire for a ground. I fixed that and soldered/spliced a new ground by the connector I believe you are talking about.

I have no light emitting form the back up light. I have not checked voltage at the bulb connector yet tho.

Thank you for your help. It appears as though I may have bought someones electrical nightmare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe