New Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some of the late model newer trucks shut off while sitting at a stop sign then restart what seems to be automatically when the traffic starts to move. I have noticed this a lot lately while sitting next to newer trucks. What is the deal with this and has anyone also heard of this.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some of the late model newer trucks shut off while sitting at a stop sign then restart what seems to be automatically when the traffic starts to move. I have noticed this a lot lately while sitting next to newer trucks. What is the deal with this and has anyone also heard of this.
It's called Auto-Stop. It's supposed to cut down on emissions from idling at stop signs and stop lights. Some vehicles do it well and it's barely noticeable to the driver at all, others not so much.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tricky part is keeping the A/C blowing cold when the engine shots off
Yeah. Whenever I have had a rental vehicle that has that feature, I have found that if I release the brakes and then re-apply them quick, the engine stays running. Can't say that that works on all vehicles, but I hate the Auto-Stop feature myself.

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called Auto-Stop. It's supposed to cut down on emissions from idling at stop signs and stop lights. Some vehicles do it well and it's barely noticeable to the driver at all, others not so much.
Does that mean you have no A/C until the traffic starts moving again. So how long is the starter good for before you are having issues with that.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Whenever I have had a rental vehicle that has that feature, I have found that if I release the brakes and then re-apply them quick, the engine stays running. Can't say that that works on all vehicles, but I hate the Auto-Stop feature myself.
I think the new Tahoe's have an over-ride button to cancel it out

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean you have no A/C until the traffic starts moving again. So how long is the starter good for before you are having issues with that.
That is correct. With the motor stopped, all you have is the blower blowing since the compressor is powered off the serpentine. Most of the vehicles I have been in allow you to turn that feature off, but you have to do it each time you get in the car.

Can't speak to how long the starters last.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, the first thing I thought of was the starter wearing out much quicker. I would be tempted to tell the dealer to honor the starter warranty longer than normal. I know they will say to just disable it EACH TIME I get in the rig. That would not make me happy.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's due to emissions rules [as stated] and to fuel economy rules-- both courtesy of your friendly federal government.

Cars and trucks are already too close to being appliances, for me; and it's only getting worse.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700