New Transmission Slips just like the old one...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Bynum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe, 4.3L, 4WD, and a 4L60E transmission.

The original got almost 216,000 miles on it then started slipping...finally lost it.

I installed a rebuilt.

The rebuilt is slipping too. Just like the original transmission just before it cut loose.

Fluid is fine. I started in the middle and poured in ounces until it was almost dead on the top line.

When I activate the towing-switch, it doesn't slip at all.

Can the transfer case have anything to do with slipping? (It's the only thing I haven't replaced underneath.)

Any other thoughts?

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
The fact that it is acting exactly the same makes me think that it might have something to do with the onboard computer.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Bynum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That has been mentioned before. A transmission guy suggested the original computer needed to be replaced.

Is it the main computer, or does the transmission have its own?

Thank you for the quick reply!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCM takes care of tranny and engine. It could also be a problem in the valve body that was not corrected when the tranny was rebuilt. I assume you meant it has a 4.8l NOT a 4.3l. What gear(s) does the slipping happen? Towing mode switch just keeps transmission from hunting back and forth from 3rd to 4th when loaded down with a trailer at highway speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts