New starter and battery no start problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignition lock? Do you mean ignition tumbler where the key slides in? Or the ignition switch? The steering wheel does not lock.
depends on the year Ron, GM in there great wisdom took away the ignition lock and then added it again I am not which years though all of mine have had it but I know there are some that do not.

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the neutral safety switch being out of position cause it to still not start in neutral? The weird thing is it will occasionally start and runs fine, then you shut it off and it won’t restart. Is there a ground on the transmission that maybe they did not it reattach and would it potentially cause this? What it seems is there is no voltage going to the starter solenoid.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the neutral safety switch being out of position cause it to still not start in neutral? The weird thing is it will occasionally start and runs fine, the you shut it off and it won’t restart. Is there a ground on the transmission that maybe they did nit reattach and would it potentially cause this? What it seems is there is no voltage going to the starter solenoid.
if you can get access to a tech2 or a snap-on, matco scanner it would tell you if the safety switch is the problem or not, otherwise I am not sure how you could check for sure. It's kind of a guessing game otherwise.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @Doubeleive said, a scanner would help but I would still look at it and take to the trans shop that did the trans install. It could have been damaged during the reassembly.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
depends on the year Ron, GM in there great wisdom took away the ignition lock and then added it again I am not which years though all of mine have had it but I know there are some that do not.

Yea, I don't have steering wheel lock so I assumed his 03 does not either. I mentioned the possibility of a faulty ignition switch earlier but I would still defer to the trans shop rechecking their work. Hopefully @BubsXL called them about the problem when it initially happened.

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans shop was the high school where my wife works so there is no telling what all they did. They somehow damaged the starter solenoid and the teacher replaced it with a “known working compatible” part.

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest wrinkle in this weirdness. Jacked it up and looked at the starter and to see if there are any obvious things wrong. The heat shield in the tarter looks like it had arced off on the starter hot wire. Moved the heat shield up and over a little and got out and it started first try. I let it warm up and shut it off and then it wouldn’t restart. Strange thing is when I was trying to restart it all the dash and warning lights were working correctly. Let it sit for a few minutes and try to start it and again the dash lights are not working as they should. The a/c and radio come on in the acc position but then in the in the run position nothing changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The High School Auto Shop???? OMG
Yeah, not ideal but the truck has 350k on it and it’s a back up vehicle so I got lower mileage transmission from a junk yard and the school said they would put it in. When it starts it runs great but that’s not real frequent. I really wish I had a starter circuit schematic so I could just figure out what is not getting power as it should.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinkalberg

Latest posts