New ride....should I let the dealer apply a ceramic coating/clay bar treatment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had accident repairs done recently and the paint shop advised to not apply anything to the paint for 6 months.

365 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I should add though that I live and operate my detailing business in a mountain ski town in California. We see snow anywhere from late October to late April and even a little bit of snow and freezing weather into early May some years. This past winter was incredibly harsh. Major storms through the last week of February into March brought 10 feet of snow in just 10 days. That amount of snow is very few and very far between for us. And we had snow a well or so before add more snow a week or so after the big storm so even just my truck saw close to a month of crappy dirty snow road conditions. But Even when the winters are mild the elements are just harsh on vehicles up here. Being at 7,000 feet and normally dry low humidity conditions couple with lots of mountain dust and then the crap from the snow does numbers on paint. So it doesn’t surprise me that the Cilajet coatings don’t perform all that well up here. And I don’t have any experience with clients off the mountain that have it installed for normal California weather and environmental conditions. All my clients off the mountain that have coatings installed are the brand that I use. So it’s entirely possible that CilaJet coatings perform better under less harsh environmental conditions where weather is more mild. Anyways just my two cents worth.
What product would you recommend?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ceramics are garbage and a scam for money)) If you want to protect the body, stick transparent polyurethane on the car body. Polyurethane, even if scratched, is restored in the sun or from a heating pad. and it provides better protective functions, because it actually covers the body, while giving a deeper color, and also has hydrophobic properties.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certainly don't have too, but this is a big vehicle to properly wax a few times a year. I must say, I did have it coated and pretty much 3 years later is has held up well and beads water like new. It really depends on how much time you have and how hard you want to work on it....

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote no. I love my local dealer but their detailer guy is meh at best. I am an avid "clean car" guy and probably spray wax or detail spray at least once every couple of weeks. I had a professional ceramic coat done on my 2020 Suburban RST and thought it was a waste of money in my opinion.

Bottom line is that if you keep your ride in good clean condition you can bypass ceramic trickery especially from the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo