New plugs, wires, cap and rotor now service engine soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced my spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor button and as soon as I started my truck the service engine soon light came on. I used all OEM parts except for the wires which I up graded to a set of performance wires. I have checked all my connections and everything appears to be connect properly. The truck is running great. I had a lot of oxidation on the old cap which I will try to add a picture with the post to see if maybe there is something else going on to cause this problem. I need help with what to check next. I assume it is something simple I am over looking so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20130513_225832_572.jpg
    IMG_20130513_225832_572.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 39

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that too when I changed everything out. Just drive it and the computer will work it out. If for some reason the next couple days it stays on then I would go and put it on a code reader.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do this in the dark.
get a spray bottle that will spray a fine mist of water, have engine idle and mist the wires and cap.
Look for spark jump, it will look like a stun gun going off.

OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had the codes checked at my local parts store and it is not showing a code. He reset the light and it comes right back on when I start the truck back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After checking in the day light, I found one line that apparently got disconnected during the process. I have no idea where it goes so I have attached some pictures to see if anyone can tell me where it goes. This is located just under the breather box.

Attachments

• IMG_20130514_080001_924.jpg
    IMG_20130514_080001_924.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130514_080023_916.jpg
    IMG_20130514_080023_916.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 41

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the vacuum type hose? If so doesn't that go to the heater valve right there in the picture?

sent from tapatalk2 using rabbit ears and aluminum foil.

OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you referring to the vacuum type hose? If so doesn't that go to the heater valve right there in the picture?

Yes, it is connected to the heater valve, but I am not sure where the other end goes. I have checked my Haynes Manuel and I can't seem to find a clear picture or diagram.

Last edited:

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of where mine attaches. But my valve fell apart about a month ago and had to mcguyver it back together in autozone parking lot and the hose hasn't been hooked up since without any cel....uploadfromtaptalk1368541459836.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a pic of where mine attaches. But my valve fell apart about a month ago and had to mcguyver it back together in autozone parking lot and the hose hasn't been hooked up since without any cel....View attachment 22006

Found and reconnected! Thanks for the help, I searched for an hour to find where that hose went lol. Still have service engine light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher