New iPhone, new Apple Carplay issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to the Beta version of iOS, this appears to be resolved. I had this until I went to the beta and haven’t had it happen since.

2016 Yukon Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm running iOS 13.2 Public Beta - no issues.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So should I wait for the next iOS software update or ask GM for an update?

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So should I wait for the next iOS software update or ask GM for an update?

As I mentioned, it runs fine on 2019 Yukon Denali using both iPhone 7 and X-r running iOS 13.1.3 so I doubt it’s the iOS and GM isn’t going to have any update. I’d keep trying reboot everything, etc. good luck.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Have ya tried a new cable? I just went thru similar issues with CarPlay and it ended up being a combination of an old lightning charger and a charging port packed full of idk what.

If the phone is more than a few months old take a look in the charging port. I dug a lot more crap outta there than I thought was possible. Just be careful what ya use don’t wanna hurt the phone as expensive as they are these days.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have ya tried a new cable? I just went thru similar issues with CarPlay and it ended up being a combination of an old lightning charger and a charging port packed full of idk what.

If the phone is more than a few months old take a look in the charging port. I dug a lot more crap outta there than I thought was possible. Just be careful what ya use don’t wanna hurt the phone as expensive as they are these days.
Not only just a new cable but sometimes it may need to be a Apple cable.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
What Jeff said. They do have “mfi” certified cables whatever the acronym may mean it’s a productApple certified, just cheaper.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only just a new cable but sometimes it may need to be a Apple cable.

I agree, Apple is touchy about the cable, their own branded ones work better from a compatibility perspective. But the after market ones are sometimes more durable.

I actually have tried both cables, Apple branded and non to the same result. Ordered a new Apple cable just in case and will try that one too.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned, it runs fine on 2019 Yukon Denali using both iPhone 7 and X-r running iOS 13.1.3 so I doubt it’s the iOS and GM isn’t going to have any update. I’d keep trying reboot everything, etc. good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve done all that so many times. Just FYI, even though you’re running iOS 13.1.3 on an iPhone 7, it’s not going to be the exact same code of iOS 13.1.3 that is running on an 11 Max Pro. They’re all slightly different, not a lot, but sometimes just enough to make a difference. Maybe the version they use for iPhone 7’s works flawlessly with CarPlay.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now 90% of the time the vehicle doesn’t even startup CarPlay after I connect my phone. And as I said I know there’s a connection because it’s charging. So the vehicles display will show whatever was in there before and no CarPlay icon appears. My phone will have either google maps or Waze on its screen.

Try a different iPhone cable. Sometimes the knockoff ones will work for a while and then get fussy.

My 11 Pro works fine with my 2016 yukon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6