New BFG KO2s 285/65/18 (replacing Nitto Trail Grapplers)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nitto Trail Grapplers finally wore out at 60k miles. They were great tires and handled onroad, gravel, rocks, mud, rain, and snow very well. Of course ice was an issue as with most mud terrain tires. I would definitely buy these again, but now that the Tahoe is my wife's rig (she also really liked the Trails) she wanted something new.

After looking at a lot of tires (Nitto Trails/TerraG2, Goodyear Duratrac and Wrangler, Toyo MT and AT Extreme, Cooper AT3 and ST Max, and Grappler AT), we decided to give BFG KO2s a try. She wanted to keep with the same size 285/65/18s.

Here's a pic of how much the Trails have worn down after 60k. Very even wear and there is still some tread left although after 6 years the rubber was pretty hard.

20150903_092740_resized_zpsjxdlzzhv.jpg

New BFGs on the rig. Even though both tires were rated as 285/65/18s, the BFGs are definitely smaller. They do not have the size, but I would have liked more meat like 295/65/18 or even 285/70/18.

20151002_173109_zpsdvgmioxh.jpg

20151002_173057_zpsxpe1q4qv.jpg

20151002_172828_zpsoputepat.jpg

The BFGs have a much more quieter and smoother ride. It is a little weird not to hear the tire roar of the Trails (which wasn't bad) and also feel the lugs. The Tahoe feels a little too tame now and my wife agrees, but I am sure it will be welcome on long trips. Once we get more miles and terrain on these I will provide an update.

Cheers

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking less good, but still good. :confused: Think I'm going to go with ST Maxx :eek:

MuSh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had trail grapplers and ko2 as well. Honestly, I like the ko2. Granted, they don't have the aggressiveness the trail grapplers do, but wow, to i really enjoy the better gas mileage and reduced noise. They are outstanding offroad as well. I knocked one off my wheel with a rather violent impact on an embankment, the tire popped off and back on. I went from 18psi to 9 in a flash, but aired it back up and kept on trucking. My wheel took some damage, but the sidewall of the tire held strong. That experience alone will have me returning to BFG in the future.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Yea the bfg's look so much smaller!! I would have took them back before mounted them and exchanged for some bigger tires

OP
OP
Zed 71

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking less good, but still good. :confused: Think I'm going to go with ST Maxx :eek:

ST Max?!? That should be STT Pro :p!

Yea the bfg's look so much smaller!! I would have took them back before mounted them and exchanged for some bigger tires

Not my rig any more. The next upsize from that is 305/65/18 and my wife did not want to spend the extra money ($244/tire versus $321/tire). That saves extra money for tires for my rig :).

MuSh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How's the mpg improvement looking? I gained just over 2 mpgs when I went from trails to ko2, but that's on a diesel grand Cherokee. Trying to decide what I'm going to go with on my Avalanche because each tire has its pros/cons

OP
OP
Zed 71

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the mpg improvement looking? I gained just over 2 mpgs when I went from trails to ko2, but that's on a diesel grand Cherokee. Trying to decide what I'm going to go with on my Avalanche because each tire has its pros/cons

Gained about 1 mpg city and highway.