Need help finding 12v & Grnd for Radar install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi have you had any problems with the V1 going off all the time , rear arrows going off?

No I haven't. I saw another post you had but forgot to respond honestly.

I remember back in the day when the Trailblazers first came off, they would set my radar detector off (cant remember what brand it was then.)

AWSMBLU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I haven't. I saw another post you had but forgot to respond honestly.

I remember back in the day when the Trailblazers first came off, they would set my radar detector off (cant remember what brand it was then.)

It's caused by Blind Spot & Cross Traffic! Turn those off and the problem goes away, but I like both of those features ,so looking into other options

avusblue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very nice work! On the other hand, I took the easy way out, and use the Valentine One "Savvy" module. It just plugs into the OBD port down in the drivers side footwell to give you extremely easy automatically switched power. Just plug & play with no muss, no fuss. Use a 10 foot phone cord you'll have plenty of length to run the cord up along the windshield pillar and to the top center of the windshield. Works perfectly. The Savvy module also provides the benefit of eliminating those annoying false alarms caused by radar operated doors when you're going at slower speeds. Check it out on the V1 website.

Cheers,

Dave

ky2015denali

Reaction score
V1 Detector Install

Did anyone discover what is causing the Valentine to "alarm"?
Is it the blindside alert?
ky2015denali

OP
OP
P

powderbrake

Reaction score
No, no problems with the V1 rear arrows going off a lot.

The V1 does go off a lot more than most other detectors, it has greater sensitivity, and no auto mute, so it has a tendancy to irritate some people.

You can send it back to the facory for repairs , and an upgrade to the latest specs. I had to do this once with one of my V1's which would display a laser alarm when it got too hot. This happened when the top was down on my car on very hot days (100+)

Xalen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a constant on power source in the rearview mirror? (and which pin / color it is?)

Hoping to wire my dashcam to the mirror, but it needs a constant power to work while the vehicle is off. (It can detect battery voltage and has an auto shutoff so it won't kill the battery)

PS: anyone know where I can get my hands on a service manual for the 2015?

ky2015denali

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a constant on power source in the rearview mirror? (and which pin / color it is?)

Hoping to wire my dashcam to the mirror, but it needs a constant power to work while the vehicle is off. (It can detect battery voltage and has an auto shutoff so it won't kill the battery)

See post #5. It has a complete diagram for you!!

ky2015denali

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pin 4 is a possibility. Just need to test it and see.

The service info I receive is from Alldata, which offers a paid service online.

jstein1990

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to hosseface, the install was a lot easier than I expected.
I took out the harness that connected my V1 to the mirror connector on my 2007 Tahoe, and put it in the new Tahoe.

here is my system, a V1 with a Remote indicator which sits on the dash, and my home made harness.

14413049342_a1bfea233d_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

If you want to build your own harness , I created a schematic. It's not easy to splice into telephone cable, but it's possible if you have a some soldering experience. Be sure to use heat shrink tube to insulate all the joints.
If you don't have the ability, go to www.invisicord.com and buy a harness with the pins on it. They make one that goes just to the detector, I don't know if they can make one that goes to the remote as well.

14227729728_492b8047a5_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DO ALL THE FOLLOWING WITH THE IGNITION OFF
Here is the covered electronics behind the mirror. Use a small screwdriver or trim removal tool to pry the cover from the windshield. Pry at 2:00 , 5:00
8:00 and 10:00 O'clock.

It will pop loose, then remove the cover insert by pulling the sides apart and lifting the insert out, there are small catches on the sides near the top of the insert.

here is the view with the cover off.

14227691769_18e8ef7784_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here is the connector that you want. I could not get the connector out, but that made no difference for my needle tipped harness. You are looking for the violet/green wire at term #2, and the black wire at terminal #5
They are in the row farthest away from you.

14410972721_dc3458af3c_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

AT this point, BE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF
I then shoved my pins down into the connector, adjacent to the two wires . They will stay in place. I have done this on both my old Tahoe and my Corvette, and my wife's Lexus. Note the red sleeved pin is the 12 volt pin and it goes to the #2 wire, and the black goes to the #5 wire.

NOTE: the fuseholder had to be moved to the right behing that group of wires going to the other connector, because it interferes with the cover snaps when I tried to reinstall the cover.

14227729908_a8c73924e9_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I reinstalled the cover, and mounted the V1 with it's suction cups. The Valentine suction cups are awesome. I have used them in 3 Tahoes and 3 vettes, and they have NEVER let loose.

14227729698_6827641dd6_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I routed the wire up under the headliner at the top of the windshield, over to the upper left corner, whereI tucked it under the a pillar moulding, then behind the door seal, then behind the fusebox cover on the left end of the dash, and out through the rubber cover for the Steering wheel in-out lever.

here is the remote as I mounted it. The reason for the remote is the main V1 remains dark ( stealth mode) and all the alerts appear on the remote, and it has a mute button which is easier to reach than the main V1 unit. I really like the arrows which tell me if the radar is in front or behind, but I sure wish that the V1 had an adjustable auto-mute.

14227729858_631845efdf_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

And here is the remote, all lighted up at turn-on. Yes I only have 152 miles on the Tahoe. I really love the new Tahoe, it is a real step above my 2007. I ordered the LT model in Champange silver, 4 wd, bucket 2nd row seats, my link radio with nav, and the integrated trailer controller. I only wish I could have the car without the 3rd row seats.

So that's the install, good luck with yours, and many thanks to hosseface for his help.
Jerry

14413178824_f782a213d9_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks for posting the pics, right now mine is in the cup holder since the last car I had it left a residue on the windshield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia