Need an opinion about a fuel pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoepolice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The wifes 2008 Tahoe (5.3 Flex) 110K miles is still running on the original fuel pump. While it hasn't presented a problem I have read that they may start giving an issue around the 100K mark. So I was going to change it. We are doing a small road trip during the summer and wanted to knock it out before then. I am a pretty good wrench turner. I am sure I can find a "How to" on the net, but had a question on what to replace it with. Brand and what to buy. I looked on Rockauto and they have different brands. I wanted to go back with OEM quality if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 burb fuel pump didn't go bad till I hit 210k miles. I replaced it with an oem. It's pita to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I would not replace it till it went out and would use a delco pump when I did

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2000 to 2006 burbs and tahoes have issues with there fuel pumps arround 100k my 02 did at 130k
but the 07 and newer tahoes i havent heard many fuel pump issues

Jeff d

Reaction score
I also probably wouldn't change it preventatively, especially not with a non-OE part. Not sure if the job is any different between an NBS and NNBS but it was about a 3 hour job the first time I did my '03 but about a 45 min job the second time. It gets significantly easier the second time around.

Jeff d

Reaction score
Also, be warned: Rock Auto had the wrong AC Delco part listed for my '03 Flex 5.3L. Hence the aforementioned second swap. The first one was slightly different, still fit, pumped fuel and ran the engine but the computer didn't like the pressure sensor on the module and threw a CEL. Got the part number listed on GMPartsDirect.com (but ordered from Amazon for $250 shipped) and it was identical and didn't throw a CEL. They accepted a return on the incorrect part even though it was used fortunately.

1997-Rangehoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would wait till it goes out also it is a pain in the ass if it is in the tank. I just replaced mine. Also when you do get it, go to Napa and get the delphi one, i understand it is really exspensive however Napa price matched one that is on 1A auto and i got it for 235!

OP
OP
Tahoepolice

Tahoepolice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will wait till she fails then. Especially if the 07s and up didn't really have any issues until the mileage is much higher.

Thanks for the input guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC