need a steering box or nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've already replaced pitman, idler arm, tie rod ends, and done the steering box "adjustment". The steering play isn't horrible, probably 1/2" - 1" of play at the wheel. Just think about the only thing left is the box itself, unless there is some other random part that might be bent from a bad wreck I don't know about or something.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the steer wheel shaft joint? About midway down the steering shaft there should be a joint. If that's not loose and you have already replaced everything else it's probably the box.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the steer wheel shaft joint? About midway down the steering shaft there should be a joint. If that's not loose and you have already replaced everything else it's probably the box.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not. First I've heard of that. Would it be possible to check it on ground, or would it have to be lifted up?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's midway down the shaft on the driver side coming through the firewall. It may have some sort of plastic cover over it or something. It's not really that common but since it's the only thing left besides your box I thought I'd mention it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
Borgeson makes some serious equipment. Thier steering column and box is what the Dodge guys default to when they get thier loose steering.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
Borgeson makes some serious equipment. Thier steering column and box is what the Dodge guys default to when they get thier loose steering.
Yeah, I remember reading some stuff about that aftermarket shaft to care of the clunk, which i do get very rarely, but only slightly from time to time. Just haven't seen anyone really use that to take care of play versus the box itself, not that that couldn't be the fix. I've already taken it to the shop that did the steering work once more for no conclusion on the actual problem, and not wanting to take it to the stealership cuz of course i'll "need" new everything. Probably just gonna find another mechanic.