Name that sound! Loud clicking near cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tarheel185

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe 5.3l. So to make a long story short, I forgot to put my coolant overflow cap back on after checking the level and drove with it off until the coolant temperature began to rise all the way to 260 on the highway (due to lost coolant) at which point I coasted to where I was going, let it cool down for about 45 minutes, then added coolant, ran it, added coolant until it was full. Now nothing is overheating and my oil doesn't seem milky or smell sweet BUT when I listen to my engine I can hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the block. I'll put a video up but is it possible I warped a cylinder or something??

VIDEO

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol the video doesnt help much unless you got a video of what it sounded like before
does the clicking stay constant or does it get faster with RPM's of the engine
can you hear the noise outside the engine compartment with the hood closed

OP
OP
T

tarheel185

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not audible in the car, slightly audible standing beside car with hood closed, does seem to speed up with rpms. Here is a picture of some coolant I just sucked out of the overflow. All this happened yesterday so I've driven maybe 6 miles with the new coolant in the system, seemed a lot greener when I put it in.

image.jpg

OP
OP
T

tarheel185

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The clicking seemed louder on cold start up earlier this morning than it does now

diLucca

Reaction score
Are you sure you had green/blue coolant in engine/cooling system?
Its suppoused to be RED(like G12 from VW).

From your pic, looks like mixed red with green. And I dont see any marks of oil.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you originally have dex cool in your cooling system?
and then put ethylene glycol in it recently ? (the green stuff) good lord i hope not

the the tapping is probably a stuck lifter or sticking lifter try to narrow it down to the left or the right bank
take yer coil pack off then take off yer valve cover id suggest only taking off one rocker arm at a time so you dont mix them up
pull off a rocker arm clean it up with carb cleaner and dunk it in oil take out yer push rod make sure you can see through the hole in the center
then spray carb cleaner down in the lifter then put the push rod in and spray carb cleaner down the hole so it gets down into the lifter
push down on the push rod and you should have a little play in it repeat that for each valve
and if you find a lifter that doesnt have very much play in it or none at all bingo thats yer ticking after you spray carb cleaner down in it let it sit for awhile

i just fixed the same issue in my suburban like an hour ago and the ticking is completely gone

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a good lifter should have like 1/16th of inch of play in it one thats sticking or stuck will hardly move if at all
dont quote me on the measure ments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts