My new 97 Yukon 6.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kinglax08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents, here is the 97 Yukon 2 door with 6.5L turbo diesel I picked up a few weeks ago. 136k original miles (I think over stated by 6k because of the little tires on it now). Bought new by a WWII Vet in Georgia who developed dementia/alzheimers and had to stop driving it 2 years ago making me the second owner. I was told it was driven once a month by his wife. Still sounds and drives great. Shifts perfectly, goes in and out of 4wd smooth, cruises straight.

The downfalls:
Tires are worn and starting to crack, not to mention they are little (30 or 31").
A/C is dried out (slow leak), need new o-rings, seals, recharge.
First owner backed into something (dementia) and someone tried to pull out dents and cover with bondo. Would have been better left alone.
Plowed... I think the keys/torsion bars are as low as possible.

My immediate plans:
Tires
Leveling
Alignment
Removing running board

So I need some input on what to do. Do you think I can fit 285/75/16 tires under there? I plan on cranking the torsion bars to level it out and I am not opposed to trimming a bit. Also not too concerned about the ride (its an old truck!).

Any comments, recommendations, feedback is welcome!

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1102.jpg
    DSCF1102.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF1103.jpg
    DSCF1103.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF1107.jpg
    DSCF1107.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF1106.jpg
    DSCF1106.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Bout time someone had one of these on the boards!

Why level it? Lower it! :)

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
No!!!2 dont lower!!! Yes 285s fit with a level and i would go ahead and pick up a nice grille guard. My 2dr has custom front lights maybe you wanna go there? Hids look sexy:)

andrewlee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Lets,see,some,under,hood,pics!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

TheBlueBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jealous, very nice truck. Sounds like quite the find, enjoy. And yes, more pictures for us, please. Drooling over each others trucks is something that happens a lot here.

OP
OP
K

kinglax08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, I picked up four of what I think are DC1's wrapped in 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX. Tires have about 50-60% tread left on them. Wheels have no curb rash and very little pitting on one wheel. I am hunting down the screws for the center caps (if you know the size/thread please let me know!!!!). $400 for the set I thought was a good deal; pretty sure four Dick Cepek wheels cost that much or more.

I went ahead and took off the running boards when mounting the wheels.

Cranked up the front to give it a level look. I think it is a little too high and bull dogged. Let me know what you think. A buddy of mine does alignments so its not a big deal to drop the front a bit. I think it needs to come down about half and inch.

As requested, including engine pics.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74