Mud Guards - WeatherTech or Husky?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jura6ix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Couple of questions:

1. Aside from those with power retractable steps, what is the downside of the GM splash guards?
2. I'll be picking up a 2022 Yukon SLT with the stationary steps; are front spash guards still recommended? I would presume they are, however, my salesman made a point to mention this to me.

Thank you,

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Couple of questions:

1. Aside from those with power retractable steps, what is the downside of the GM splash guards?
2. I'll be picking up a 2022 Yukon SLT with the stationary steps; are front spash guards still recommended? I would presume they are, however, my salesman made a point to mention this to me.

Thank you,
We have a '21 slt with fixed running boards and I can tell you without the splash guards this rig is ALWAYS dirty. The tires kick up everything from the road (or in my case a gravel driveway) and it shoots all over the side of the truck and covers the running board. I recently bought weathertech guards but haven't found an extra 10 minutes to put them on yet...

1A07E7AD-5449-48BD-9535-E359B1D3933F.jpeg

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every vehicle I own has Flaps PERIOD. Saves the sides of the vehicles so much from rocks and tar and everything basically. Unless it is a sunshine weekend vehicle, get appropriate flaps on ASAP!

Jura6ix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a '21 slt with fixed running boards and I can tell you without the splash guards this rig is ALWAYS dirty. The tires kick up everything from the road (or in my case a gravel driveway) and it shoots all over the side of the truck and covers the running board. I recently bought weathertech guards but haven't found an extra 10 minutes to put them on yet...

Thank you, R32driver! This is helpful. May I ask why you went with Weathertech guards over GM?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the weathertechs, love them, was really the only option for the power running boards...but they really keep the shmutz off the side and the boards, which keeps it out of the vehicle...Here in MN, kind of a must, or you end up w/ snow/ice all over everything in the winter.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, R32driver! This is helpful. May I ask why you went with Weathertech guards over GM?
Mostly because I didn’t want the gmc logo on the rear guards. I’ve had most the badges removed from our Yukon so to keep with that theme just wanted them plain.

As a bonus weathertech products are made in the USA where as many gm items sadly are not

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my weathertechs yesterday and it did not go as planned. I'm not sure what the deal is but the holes on the rears were not in the correct spot to easily be screwed on. I thought I was crazy at first but ended up having to drill out the middle holes into kind of an oval shape in order to get all 3 screws installed. I'd be pissed if it wasn't an easy "fix" but still annoyed as I spent probably 45 minutes screwing around with them when this should have taken a fraction of that time. They look great installed and fit the bumper contour very well.

The fronts took literally 5 minutes to install both sides. It's raining today so will get to see the difference after coming down my driveway that makes all vehicles filthy.

IMG_4111.JPGIMG_4113.JPGIMG_4114.JPG

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one thing that weathertech has that is really worth it. They work great with my power boards. Mine assembled correctly and easily….

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my weathertechs yesterday and it did not go as planned. I'm not sure what the deal is but the holes on the rears were not in the correct spot to easily be screwed on. I thought I was crazy at first but ended up having to drill out the middle holes into kind of an oval shape in order to get all 3 screws installed. I'd be pissed if it wasn't an easy "fix" but still annoyed as I spent probably 45 minutes screwing around with them when this should have taken a fraction of that time. They look great installed and fit the bumper contour very well.

The fronts took literally 5 minutes to install both sides. It's raining today so will get to see the difference after coming down my driveway that makes all vehicles filthy.

View attachment 369320View attachment 369322View attachment 369323

Funny you say that because I had the exact same problem in the rear with my Husky flaps. They work great and I think look better then the Weather Tech but the rear holes were a pain.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 369320View attachment 369322View attachment 369323
Luckily my weathertech's lined up, cause I'm terrible at improvising and I'm not at all mechanically skilled. The fronts gave me the most "trouble" just with torquing the furthest bolts trying to get around the tires (even with the wheel turned) but overall took me an hour or less. After a few drives I snugged the bolts and screws again just to make sure they stood tight and so far so good after a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev