Msd or accel coil packs any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
As the title states…
Looking at replacing my stock coil packs I was looking at the accels my buddy had and also at the msd red ones.
Granatelli Motorsports also came up but are pricey?
Any rear world info would be appreciated thanks.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheaper ones won't be a good as ACDelco, Higher-end MSD and Granatelli's are great for race builds, but you won't notice a difference. Accel makes great spark plug wires if you have headers.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
The cheaper ones won't be a good as ACDelco, Higher-end MSD and Granatelli's are great for race builds, but you won't notice a difference. Accel makes great spark plug wires if you have headers.
I’ve heard issues about the accel ceramic wires cracking from heat my buddy has had his msd wires for like 10 years now and they have been on 3 different engines so ima go that route for the wires

Either way it seems like factory coil packs are about as expensive as the msd and accels.
My buddy had good luck with the yellow accel coils on his 6.2 build
Just seeing if anyone else on here has ran either or and had luck with them

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the first I’ve ever heard about Accels cracking other than someone cavemaning them when installing or removing, Accel and Taylor are about all I use.

MSD Streetfires are a good middle ground coil if you don’t want to break the bank on them, I’ve had these on for a few years now no issues.

Cammed, Nitrous LS3 for reference:

IMG_2607.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about using aftermarket coil packs a few times and researched a few times and came to the conclusion that my money is better off spent on something else, I couldn't find any data showing any benefit from high-performance coil packs (alone).
on the other hand if I was building a high performance motor and using all new parts and money to burn then I would be more likely to buy a "pretty" one.
same for plug wires, maybe if you are putting out 1,000 hp those tiny neglible differences might help or if you installed headers and needed a better heat protected wire, etc..
I am not a nay-sayer trying to say they don't do anything, I just couldn't find any data showing they did.
you know like: is it going to create more spark?, do I need a hotter plug to go with it? do I need larger gauge plug wires also?
by then you are now knee deep in other upgrades, lol
I know @Rocket Man has some on his truck (I think) and it is super charged,,,, so

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully aware that I'm a GMT821 wading in GMT900 territory ...
It's not easy to get your money's worth AND improve on GM coils.
I'd imagine being better off using (for example) LS7 / LSA / LS9 coils - even if the ecm would need tuning to fully utilize them.
(I imagine the ecm would need some parameters adjusted, in much the same way different injectors require a tune adjustment.)

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
That’s the first I’ve ever heard about Accels cracking other than someone cavemaning them when installing or removing, Accel and Taylor are about all I use.

MSD Streetfires are a good middle ground coil if you don’t want to break the bank on them, I’ve had these on for a few years now no issues.

View attachment 419141
I’ve pulled the crimps out two sets of Taylor’s now but that could be me being a caveman…
I can’t remember where I was reading the reviews at about them cracking but if I find it I’ll post it. Ima get the bendable msd red wires this go round

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I have thought about using aftermarket coil packs a few times and researched a few times and came to the conclusion that my money is better off spent on something else, I couldn't find any data showing any benefit from high-performance coil packs (alone).
on the other hand if I was building a high performance motor and using all new parts and money to burn then I would be more likely to buy a "pretty" one.
same for plug wires, maybe if you are putting out 1,000 hp those tiny neglible differences might help or if you installed headers and needed a better heat protected wire, etc..
I am not a nay-sayer trying to say they don't do anything, I just couldn't find any data showing they did.
you know like: is it going to create more spark?, do I need a hotter plug to go with it? do I need larger gauge plug wires also?
by then you are now knee deep in other upgrades, lol
I know @Rocket Man has some on his truck (I think) and it is super charged,,,, so
Only reason I’m looking at em now if because I have this weird random misfire that don’t throw any codes and is usually low in the rpm range and at idle it just is running rough. I did plugs last time I was home I’m waiting on my new wires to come in the mail and I was going to replace the coils because I bet one of them is bad @400,000 miles just about now… its almost like a spark knock but a misfire if you know what that sounds like on these 5.3s
I know I’ll probably not gain any real performance gains but as long as they last like the factory ones have I’ll be happy. Last time I got coil packs I got the eBay special cheapest they had and they burned up within 6 months and I swapped back to stock ones from the scrap yard

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled the crimps out two sets of Taylor’s now but that could be me being a caveman…
I can’t remember where I was reading the reviews at about them cracking but if I find it I’ll post it. Ima get the bendable msd red wires this go round
Yeh I could see that with the silicone on the Taylors lol

Can't go wrong w MSDs, they have great customer support in the event you have issues.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 419141

Is that permatex on the valve covers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10