Mods for weight and aero... Okay, more for looks. Can't decide.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left fender has some wrinkles. I bought a good fender of the same color, but it needs paint work so I haven't bothered to swap it on yet. I've been keeping an eye out for another fender with "perfect" paint just in case. The other day, I stumbled upon this:

IMG_5299.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

It's all there. I'd either swap on my current lower lip/air dam or trim that one way down. The rear bumper cover needs work. I'm sure I could make the LED tails work. It's more of an all-or-nothing thing cuz the hood (aluminum) goes with the front bumper/grille. As much as I'd like the aluminum rear liftgate, the fixed glass is a deal-breaker. I'm more into removing or relocating frontal weight, anyway.

The rear bumper has a cut in it like they backed into a receiver hitch as well as some other scrapes. I'm really considering wrapping mine so the paint stuff and the damage really isn't a factor. I can easily fix the rear bumper cover and have it wrap-ready.

The seller said a guy wants it for the engine. I told him I'd write up a parts list and get prices. If the other guy buys it, he might make me a better deal on the body pieces. Or not. lol

I'm not head over heels in love with the front, but I like it just the same and sometimes maybe a little more than my stock one. I would do it more for the rarity and because I like the more pronounced edges. It's like it's halfway between a GMT900 and K2. The aero would just be a cool factor since it'll never improve MPG enough to be a return on investment. Are the battery packs in these things worth anything? I don't know if it's still there. The cats are gone, of course.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need the hood as well the hood is different then the normal tahoe... the tail gate is aluminium as well the D plies and steps and flaps the...... the brake lights are LED you may need to do some modding or adding resistors for it to work correctly (or commercial mode) it's not connected to the lower lamp like the normal, the turn Signal is separate circuit for the lower light only from the brake light and running lights

t

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left fender has some wrinkles. I bought a good fender of the same color, but it needs paint work so I haven't bothered to swap it on yet. I've been keeping an eye out for another fender with "perfect" paint just in case. The other day, I stumbled upon this:

View attachment 396816

View attachment 396818

View attachment 396819

View attachment 396820

It's all there. I'd either swap on my current lower lip/air dam or trim that one way down. The rear bumper cover needs work. I'm sure I could make the LED tails work. It's more of an all-or-nothing thing cuz the hood (aluminum) goes with the front bumper/grille. As much as I'd like the aluminum rear liftgate, the fixed glass is a deal-breaker. I'm more into removing or relocating frontal weight, anyway.

The rear bumper has a cut in it like they backed into a receiver hitch as well as some other scrapes. I'm really considering wrapping mine so the paint stuff and the damage really isn't a factor. I can easily fix the rear bumper cover and have it wrap-ready.

The seller said a guy wants it for the engine. I told him I'd write up a parts list and get prices. If the other guy buys it, he might make me a better deal on the body pieces. Or not. lol

I'm not head over heels in love with the front, but I like it just the same and sometimes maybe a little more than my stock one. I would do it more for the rarity and because I like the more pronounced edges. It's like it's halfway between a GMT900 and K2. The aero would just be a cool factor since it'll never improve MPG enough to be a return on investment. Are the battery packs in these things worth anything? I don't know if it's still there. The cats are gone, of course.
I wish I could find a hybrid this ******/cheap. Would be my next racetruck, keep it registered as a hybrid so I can get that sweet HOV lane sticker and toll bypasses

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If it has a battery still, it may simply need reconditioning. Call greenbean battery and see if it has a core value and if there’s a way to have one of their reps do a drive by to discreetly check it out.

On the other hand if the owner finds out he can get unexpected dough from selling off the battery, he may just give you the shell. That’s what another buyer might be doing right now.

If it’s a running non AFM 6.0 it’s swap worthy for any Gen 4 V8.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a battery still, it may simply need reconditioning. Call greenbean battery and see if it has a core value and if there’s a way to have one of their reps do a drive by to discreetly check it out.

On the other hand if the owner finds out he can get unexpected dough from selling off the battery, he may just give you the shell. That’s what another buyer might be doing right now.

If it’s a running non AFM 6.0 it’s swap worthy for any Gen 4 V8.

I believe they all have afm and vvt cam timing too.

alum engine alone would probably save more weight than the hood.

on a side note, the hybrid yokon's had normal steel hoods and rear hatch. rear glass opens and all.

the caddy too I believe, the early caddy ones even had a higher gear ratio. it's like more expensive the truck, the less they cared about fuel mileage haha just the badge. even thou mileage rating was all the same I believe.

the battery is probably shot, but there is electronics in the pack that might be worth a core somewhere. I'm on the side of anything over about 90k miles these batteries are tossed from bad cooling design and being over worked on a truck. it's just a prius battery with a few more cells to raise the voltage.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You going to make a run on the Bonneville Salt Flats?

Salt Flats, Hwy 190 in West Baton Rouge... Tomato tomahto.

If the hybrid battery was good there will be buyers for it but a dead pack or transmission probably led to this ones demise. The aero features are cool, they cut the C/D down into the .34s if memory serves.

@BG1988

I didn't bother to ask but I will ask about the whole thing. Yeah, I read that the C/D is brought from .37 to .34. Like I said, it'd be more for the novelty of having the rare stuff. I guess my thread title is misleading. I'll edit it. Due to the drop, I'd have to chop that front chin spoiler a lot or swap my stock one on if it'll fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM