Missing back fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
asking for help with missing back fire on my 97 gmc Yukon
370,000 miles 4x4 tried new fuel pump and filter no help also there is no engine light coming on. Fuel pressure is 50 to 55 . My next move is to replace plugs wires and cap .
It starts up perfect and ideals prefect and while in drive I can floor it and there is no mud or back fire but when I put her into gear and drive and go it’s horrible missing back fire it’s really got me scratching my head any help would be appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before the parts canon comes out...
Check for excessive play in the distributor by twisting it back and forth. A worn distributor gear caused similar issues in a '98 I had several years ago. A simple swap from a donor 5.7 cured it.
But it may be as simple as replacing the D-cap and rotor here.

OP
OP
Holt50

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is back starts right up a slightly rough ideal can drive it erring until I try to give it a little more throttle then normal and states missing

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a fuel pressure check. Key on eng off, running idle, running hiway.(long hose on guage under wiper on windshield) Also time on leakdown. Fuel pressure spec 60-66#.
Another place to look is fuel trims with scanner. Check steady state hiway. Report findings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts