Mids and highs dropping with sub playing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
02 Yukon
Stock alternator
New battery
Pioneer 8600bs head unit
pioneer 8604 powering kicker components and kicker 3 ways
Pioneer 8601 running 2 ohms at 500watts rms on a Single kicker 15
Separate 4 gauge runs to each amp
Big three upgrade
Double grounds Front and rear

Mids and highs play fine for 10-12 seconds then they just drop off.
This happens mainly when my sub is on but has happened with it off.

What could be the problem?

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you playing at full volume or does it happen at any volume? Also is the amp going into protection mode or is it just turning off?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the screens are different from the single dins, the max should be like 62 or something... so any distortion isnt from the radio...

Again check to see if the amp is completely shutting down IE all lights off, or if its going into protection mode usually a red light...

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be impedance problem. How are the speakers wired?

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
I have one speaker per channel.
One rca in to amp from radio (front)
Front componets are 4ohms
Rear 3ways are 4ohms

I've done some messing a around with it and have replicated the problem without the sub on.
Seems I'm losing all highs, mids are still there but distorted. Everything sounds awesome for about ten seconds then fades out....
I can tune it to play without currtting out, just doesn't sound great and is badly overpowered by the woofer...
This is a problem because my DC lvl 3 will be here tomorrow and I'll be pushing 1200rms to it so ....

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Could be impedance problem. How are the speakers wired?
The pioneer 8604 isn't shutting off or going into protection. Don't think it even has a protection on it. I'm told digital amplifiers reduce power when they see distortion or clipping but it doesn't distort (by my ear) until it fades out ...
Unless the screens are different from the single dins, the max should be like 62 or something... so any distortion isnt from the radio...

Again check to see if the amp is completely shutting down IE all lights off, or if its going into protection mode usually a red light...

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

62 is my max.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both front and rear speakers are cutting out at the same time... correct?
Wait so even if you play at low volume it cuts out? or only cuts out after 10 seconds at full volume? try lowering your gains on the 4ch and turning the head unit up higher. ideally you should turn the head unit up to 55, then set your gains accordingly.

As for the digital amp protection, it still has it but pioneer does state it will moderate volume if its being over driven. Which will result in the led on the side next to the controls turning red. However if this is the case, then it sounds to me like your amp gain is too high.

Also verify with a volt meter on the 12v positive and ground for the amp, as well as the remote turn on before and while its cutting out to verify you aren't experiencing voltage drop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Does the hpf on the head unit need to match what I have the hpf on the amp set too?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no... I listen to a variety of music, and change my HP and LP filters accordingly... so I usually set my sub amp at 100hz on the amp, and anywhere from 60-100hz on the head unit same goes for my 4ch. I set it at 60 on the amp and run 60-100 on the head unit... but when I change music I tweak my filters up and down via the headunit and it works great for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmoade