Matt00 2003 Yukon build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
Nice updates! The small white round headed LED bulbs can be used in your license plate light sockets. That’s what I use in mine.
Those roof racks came out cool looking.
That’s what I was thinking, just wasn’t positive. I think the roof racks look alright too, there’s a few spots that I sprayed too much but aside from that it has a clean finish.

OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
So I think I’ve decided that I’m going to do the interior how I want it, and then work my way out. The simplest way to put it is this: I want it as dark as I can get it whenever there is no light. For some reason I like the idea of being hidden in my truck.

What I want to do first is the headliner, it’s tan/champagne right now and its starting to peel back anyways. I am wanting to replace it with black fabric, something I can pick up at Hobby Lobby or somewhere local.

Next I’m wanting to re-paint the plastics. All I can think of are the door panels, the console lid, and the entire dash. As of right now they are gray. I’m not too sure of how to go about doing this but I’ve got an idea. I’m thinking I can take all of the plastics out in one day and over the next few paint them. I used a sort of bedliner whenever I repainted my roof rack and was thinking I could do the same on the interior. Maybe not? I read online the fumes are super toxic (obviously) but I thought maybe I could air it out for a few days. If that doesn’t work I can use a specialized type paint or even plasti-dip.

Next are seat covers. I’m going to be getting simple black ones, but I’m not sure what brand? I don’t know much about seat covers. And my girlfriend loves the seat heaters, would it still come through?

How hard is the headliner to replace? I was told I can either leave the one in there on or take it out and cut out the places I need to in the new fabric and use a glue made for it.

For the plastics, how hard are these to get out and how hard are they to get back in? Would I need to sand them down in order for paint to stick? I’m most worried about painting the dash because I don’t know any way I can get that out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I stated before, other members have tackled all the projects you have mentioned. Use the search function or stroll through the 2000-2006 interior section. There's way too much information on subjects like painting the interior plastics, changing the headliner to a darker shade, etc to be brought up and re-discussed in your build thread. These things have been discussed to death, attempted, failed, succeeded, etc. However if you decide to jump in without doing research, prepare to not only most likely make the same mistakes but be called out for doing so. This forum is here so people don't have to make the same mistakes over and over and when it happens anyway, it's hard to watch. Take your time, research the best way to do it, and reap the rewards of others failures. I wish you the best.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be warned though- changing the entire interior to black is a huge undertaking and I've seen some ugly consequences and only one or two that looked ok. And only doing half of it is even uglier.