Maintainence Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justen Klemme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am needing to change the brakes on my 04' Tahoe AWD and the shocks (look to be factory).

Has 116,000 miles. What rotors and pads do you recommend? Also any suggestions on some good shocks?

Is it typical to loose lots of power with the A/C turned on? I know you will lose a little bit in all vehicles but mine seems to be a good amount. Its almost night and day with the power when its on vs off.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

rndsommer

Reaction score
Can't speak for the shocks and brakes but I have no noticeable power loss on my 01 tahoe front the ac. This is my 4th truck from this generation between 01-05 tahoe, subn, silverado never felt any difference with ac on in any of them

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For price id get them off rockauto.com and just stick with monroe or acDelco they are about 20 bucke. Sticking with rockauto one class up i would say ac delco again or kyb gr2. Then thier handling and performance category i would say Gabriel or monroe.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am needing to change the brakes on my 04' Tahoe AWD and the shocks (look to be factory).

Has 116,000 miles. What rotors and pads do you recommend? Also any suggestions on some good shocks?

Is it typical to loose lots of power with the A/C turned on? I know you will lose a little bit in all vehicles but mine seems to be a good amount. Its almost night and day with the power when its on vs off.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

For pads and rotors, go to NAPA or OReilly and get the OEM replacements (don't cheap out on the bottom dollar "value" pads/rotors or you will regret it). They won't be very expensive and should perform very well.

For shocks, I really like Bilstein.

When you turn on the A/C parked in your driveway, is there noticeable additional noise when the A/C compressor is engaged/spinning? If so, your bearings or compressor could be going bad which puts additional (noticeable) strain on the engine.

While you're doing pads and rotors, don't forget a brake bleed. Buy three of the big bottles at Walmart for about $24 total and have a friend press the pedal while you bleed at the calipers. It's well worth it to make sure your brake pedal stays firm, and your brake lines and calipers don't get corroded by moisture in the lines.

Also, 100k is when you should've flushed the coolant - do that if you haven't already.

Lastly, if you haven't had the transmission serviced in a while, I'd suggest dropping the transmission pan, replacing the filter, and refilling the pan with new fluid. DO NOT do a transmission flush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho

Latest posts