LS6 cams in 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend about installing some forced induction on my Tahoe. I was thinking about going with a supercharger setup. He started telling me that I should go turbo, and that Hot Rod Magazine did it and saw some respectable gains. The next day I started looking for the Hot Rod Magazine article. Once I found it I read it and noticed they used LS6 cams. This got me wondering, "What if I just installed LS6 cams and tuned her?" This would, of course, happen with the corvette servo installed. What are some of your opinions? I'm not very knowledgable on this subject and would like some information before I do something stupid.

Here's a link to the Hot Rod Magazine article I'm referencing: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...53l_gen_iii_small_block_for_3252/viewall.html

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this from actual real world experience.
Buddie bought a 01 gmc crewcab, shortbed, with T/H package..
5.3/4L60E. OEM sized wheels and tires..
From a stop it would roast the tires down NP aal the way to 2nd, but wouldnt chirp when shifting.. This is flashing the convertor.
A 30 roll it would leave hard but no tire spin..

We Installed a Home made CAI, LS6 cam, Patriot gold Valve springs (over kill for the LS6 cam, due to going bigger in the future), cut all resonators off exhaust, installed a dynomax 12" bullet and a turn down.
Along with Electric fans.
Then put a POS hypertech tune on it, After dialing in the shift speeds. we went for test run..

Utter destruction of the tires with out TQ flashing, Flash the TQ and the truck would doughnut in the road..
30 roll, It will white smoke the tires..

After destroying the tires he bought some larger Z71 sized wheels and tires from a buddie..
We figured eh, gonna kill some bottom end with these monsters..
After dialing in shift speeds for new tires...

Utter destruction of the tires again.. and a VERY hard second gear chirp.
Pop it on T/H mode and flash the convertor. We are leavin SS down the road up to second and would still spin the tires for a good 30 feet.
A 30 roll will white smoke the tires..

5.3 with LS6 cam and supporting mods is a VERY potent combination..
I can only imagin what his truck would do with LT's and a proper tune...:rocking:

DO that on top of a FI unit,, and GL staying on the road or keeping tires on the truck..

Funny part is,, it took all that to beat a 6.0 YD with Bullydog tune and a specter CAI... by a fender 30-100MPH

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
5.3 with LS6 cam and supporting mods is a VERY potent combination..
I can only imagin what his truck would do with LT's and a proper tune...:rocking:

I like this. I'd just go with the stock LS6 valve springs for now. A sleeper is what I'm looking to build until I upgrade the trans and engine. A little more power is never a bad thing.

Any idea if the camswill work in the NNBS Tahoe 5.3? The write-up from Hot Rod Magazine was for a NBS Tahoe motor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16