Lowered 4 in, rides way to rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
Well I've got a mcgaughys 2/4 lowering kit on my 4dr. I've cut the rear bumpstops down, installed new summit lowering shocks, but it still rides rough as heck. Bouncy, like a diving board. Would I see much improvement by installing a C notch? I dont like the idea of cutting up the frame, but...

Also, what can be done to get more travel out of the front? other then cranking the keys all the way up.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've got a mcgaughys 2/4 lowering kit on my 4dr. I've cut the rear bumpstops down, installed new summit lowering shocks, but it still rides rough as heck. Bouncy, like a diving board. Would I see much improvement by installing a C notch? I dont like the idea of cutting up the frame, but...

Also, what can be done to get more travel out of the front? other then cranking the keys all the way up.

a c notch is safe.. as far as the frame is concerned.. it will actually end up being stiffer than your stock frame if done right..

but its not going to improve ride quality at all.. unless youre hitting frame.. which at 4 inches.. is probably unlikely

Maybe switch back to a progressive spring?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
nitro shocks or maybe a more comfort shock brand. never heard of summit shocks

what lowering components did you use in the rear?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cnotch won't help, its just for extreme lowering of a vehicle which you don't have. In fact, with the bumpstops on in the rear, your ride most likely would be a hair smoother (depending on how well you cur the bumpstops to match the travel).... as the continuous resting on the stops absorbs the singular movement of the rear axle bumps and vibrations. It's not ideal at all and you should cut the bumpstop brackets and install some shortie bumpstops (free travel mod).

I would say you simply might be like me: just not used to a non-progressive spring combined with the rear straight axle configuration that emphasizes bumps in the road.

B

OP
OP
HuskerHoe

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
The shocks are from summit racing. Nothing special. I'm running a shackle/hanger setup out back.

The reason I was considering a c-notch was for in the increased travel. I guess I just kinda assumed I was bottoming out, causing the harsh ride. I dont exactly remember what the rear bumpstop looked like. Is the bracket attached to the frame, hanging down a little bit? Where would the shortie bumpstops attach to? Any links to where I can find some progressive springs?

The ride was okay during the summer, but with winter here, it has gotten miserable. I finally decided to see if there was something I could do about it, and am open to suggestions. Its 4wd btw

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was hitting the bump stop brackets in the rear, i just took the whole bracket out and put the bolts back in , no bottoming out lots of room for travel. this wont help ride but u asked about room also

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
I've heard the shocks summit sells under their name are actually doetsch tech shocks. If so how do you have them mounted. Doetsch tech shocks need to be mounted in a certain direction (forget which way is up) or else they won't work right. I mounted mine wrong a while back and when I flipped them, it made a huge difference in the bounciness. I eventually changed those out for some Belltech street performance shocks that are awesome.

OP
OP
HuskerHoe

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
No shock extenders, I got drop shocks. Not sure how they were mounted, but im pretty sure I remember there being only one way to mount them, so they have to be mounted the right way. Although I've been known to do such things...

How are the belltechs holding up? Did they wear out quick? Maybe I'll throw on some new shocks and see what kind of difference that makes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts