Low Beam Bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhabes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've spent far too long researching... largely because I am struggling to figure out why everyone keeps going to TRS despite the issues. Got my VLED fogs, reverse, and license plate lights so need to bite the bullet. Think I will go XD. Any update from JBMore after a year? Canbus or no Canbus?

ERS2015

Reaction score
I've spent far too long researching... largely because I am struggling to figure out why everyone keeps going to TRS despite the issues. Got my VLED fogs, reverse, and license plate lights so need to bite the bullet. Think I will go XD. Any update from JBMore after a year? Canbus or no Canbus?

I spoke with TRS yesterday regarding my ballast warranty. I originally purchased the 55w ballast kit, theyre going to warranty me a 35w ballast replacement and discount my purchase of another 35w ballast so I can swith over and hopefully have better reliability. Anyway Im still going to try Xenon Depot for the wifes Tahoe.

dhabes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. Hopefully the 35W is more reliable. Thinking I'll take the plunge on XD but I am waiting to see if they run anything for Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

ERS2015

Reaction score
I ended up going with the HID kit from Diode Dynamics. I remember reading good things about them after I installed the kit from TRS on my Silverado. They had 20% off for black friday/cyber monday. They should be here soon, Im not concerned about their output, im sure it will be great, but rather their reliability and longevity. I dont want lights going out on my wife while shes driving the kids around at night. We'll see.

dhabes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed my Xenon Depot 35W kit and LOVE IT. Pretty easy to install, hardest part was finding a spot for the ballast on the right side which I imagine is the same for all kits. Ended up trusting the double sided 3M VHB tape that comes with the kit and mounted it under the airbox... not ready to drill holes in the body yet. Does require putting a hole in the dust cover which I know some people don't like but a 1 1/8" hole leaves a tight seal with the gasket that comes with the kit. Ballast case is metal. Well packaged with hard plastic covers over the bulbs for shipping, just make sure you remove them before you make connections. Almost afraid to say this but haven't had a single issue since I've installed them and extremely happy with the results.

ERS2015

Reaction score
Im anxious to see which HID kit has the best reliability/longevity. I didnt have good luck with the TRS Morimoto kit on my truck as seen in the posts above.

I finally had a chance to install the Diode Dynamics kit on the wifes Tahoe last night. No surprises for intallation, actually a cleaner install on the Tahoe versus the Silverado HD. The kit came with the HD relay and error cancellors just in case there was an issue. The output is great, and the 5k color temp looks good also. Im a bit concerned, the drivers side flickered a little during warm up, but never did again after it was up to operational temperature. Ill kepp a close eye on it. Diode Dynamics has a 3 year warranty and their customer service has been good so far. I also purchased LED fogs, reverse and lisecnce plate bulbs from them over the black friday/cyber monday weekend. The shipping took longer than I expected and they ran out of the reverse LED's but they contacted me right away, resolved it and shipped the other parts out. They said their sales that weekend were much higher that expected or anticipated.

k5blazerkeith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like the rest of you, done so much reading and research on these HID kits, it would make your eyes bleed. Purchased the Yukon XL SLT in late Nov, and pulled the trigger on the Opt7 Bolt Series HID kit after seeing many good reviews online. They include all the relays/capacitors, etc that you need, very thorough kit, wiring and connections pretty good, decent instructions, etc.

Didn't start out well...only one bulb worked right out of the box...it flickered a couple times and died. I swapped ballasts and bulbs around to isolate the problem, and it was the HID bulb. Opt7 was very responsive and seemed genuinely concerned...they shipped out replacement HID bulbs and a ballast also. Having become a pro at removing the airbox and bulbs, I dove in again. Well, the first replacement bulb I tried wouldn't even turn on...great. The second one flickered, but then came on and stayed on. Hmm. I again swapped bulbs side to side to make sure the ballasts were ok...everything was working. So, I put everything back together after siliconing the backs of the headlight housings, and drove it. Light ouput is WAY better than stock, huge safety difference!!

Well, three weeks later, and the passenger side bulb is dead. Two nights ago, when leaving a restaurant, the bulb failed to light...however, after our next stop, it came back on and stayed on. Last night, the bulb is totally dead (it had flickered a few times)...I've contacted Opt7 again, we will see what they say. But at this point, I am about done...I can't have my wife and newborn son driving around in a vehicle that the headlights may or may not work in! So unsafe...

So, can't say that I can recommend Opt7 products anymore...when working, they are super bright and work well with the projector housings, but three bulb failures in a little over a month? Not acceptable...

rmcclean12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just installed xenondepot HID Xtreme kit on '15 Yukon xl slt. Install was very straightforward. Took a little over an hour for both. Biggest pain was the airbox and placement on pass. side.

Very happy with light output with first short nighttime drive. Cutoff is clean. Hoping reliability is good as well. Went with the Philips bulb upgrade. Great match to drl's and led fogs.

Prormk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rmcclean12,

pictures please, or it never happened!!!!! Just kidding, but I would love to see the kit you installed.

rmcclean12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2644073b1244c40591b6331c2f2518c9.jpg
89fa8f0130ad18d40d770527d1e8a841.jpg
7b043a8950cc1224aac24bfa9f73b7d2.jpg
b025c1989d5da9237f2b37e665fd1e1d.jpg

Here's some subpar phone pics from after the install. Not great quality and glare is rough at night with lights on but at least you know it happened now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909