Loose Steering-chasing my tail....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blade_24k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 GMC Yukon SLE 4x4 5.3L
The steering has play and I have been chasing my tail trying to replace everything that could be causing it. I've changed:
Steering gear box (3 bolt, Napa ReMan)
P/S pump
Inner and outer Tie rods (moog)
Idler Arm and bracket assembly (moog)
Pitman Arm (moog)
Added Steering Stabilizer/Dampener (Rough Country)

Tried adjusting the gear box and it just made it more sensitive but didn't take the play out. I've gotta be missing something. I just Cant figure it out. Is it just common to have play in the steering? is there something else I should look at? What else could cause play in the steering?

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My play was because of shot ball joints on the uca and a cracked idler arm bracket. I pretty much changed everything you did including the front uca and it rides great now. Good luck

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your hub bearings for excessive end play? Although not directly related to the steering system bearings with excessive play will create a wondering/loose steering symptom.

JJ461

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the intermediate shaft. Had mine replaced because of clunking noise, now steering has play that was not there before.

2006 Yukon XL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645