looking for wiring diagrams crankshaft position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

Iv Avila

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I re-read your post...

I have a wiring diagram for an 04, that I can post tomorrow if I can remind myself. IDK if it's the same as a Gen IV engine though?

You replaced the crankshaft or crankshaft position sensor?

What are symptoms again? Not clear on that...weak cranking? Like it's slow to turn over before it fires?

Can the cam also be the problem? I guess that depends on your symptoms...may be more than one issue going on.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Meant CKP Sensor. Slow to turn over before it fires. I just wrote a better history of the problem, maybe that helps. thanks again

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so in all that.. all I saw was the starter spins the engine over slowly while Turing to crank? that sounds like the common battery cable issues these trucks get. sensor won't make it crank slowly, that's a lack of current to the starter motor. either weak. battery or corroded up cables, they seem to go bad from the inside out.

the dash doing funny stuff also sounds like battery voltage issues.

others will chime in, but I believe this is a case of replacing both the postive and negative battery ables and clean the grounding point the negative cable bolts to the block at.

then charge and load test the battery and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Iv Avila

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so in all that.. all I saw was the starter spins the engine over slowly while Turing to crank? that sounds like the common battery cable issues these trucks get. sensor won't make it crank slowly, that's a lack of current to the starter motor. either weak. battery or corroded up cables, they seem to go bad from the inside out.

the dash doing funny stuff also sounds like battery voltage issues.

others will chime in, but I believe this is a case of replacing both the postive and negative battery ables and clean the grounding point the negative cable bolts to the block at.

then charge and load test the battery and go from there.
Im not familiar with what the CKP sensor limits the ecu from doing so at this point im open to any suggestions as long as I can get this truck back up and running.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks are notorious for internal corrosion in the battery cables, as well as weak/corroded grounds. They look fine from the outside but they're not able to conduct the full amperage any more and when they get loaded up they behave intermittently. They cause a whole host of issues and codes like these when they start to fail. The solution is to clean the grounds in the engine compartment and on the frame below the drivers door, and replace the battery cables and possibly the mega fuse on the firewall if yours is so equipped. Search for Big 3 upgrade here and you'll get more helpful threads with parts and pics.

Long story short, my hypothesis is that you're dealing with a poor connectivity/chassis ground issue.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are notorious for internal corrosion in the battery cables, as well as weak/corroded grounds. They look fine from the outside but they're not able to conduct the full amperage any more and when they get loaded up they behave intermittently. They cause a whole host of issues and codes like these when they start to fail. The solution is to clean the grounds in the engine compartment and on the frame below the drivers door, and replace the battery cables and possibly the mega fuse on the firewall if yours is so equipped. Search for Big 3 upgrade here and you'll get more helpful threads with parts and pics.

Long story short, my hypothesis is that you're dealing with a poor connectivity/chassis ground issue.
I agree, sounds like a low voltage issue. I don't think the sensor is actually bad. Never just assume the code that shows on the scan tool is the actual problem. Any good mechanic should know that. When the transmission controller loses communication with the ECU it shifts all stoopid. I'm betting on bad ground also.

More on the scan tool comment.
I spent two weeks chasing a problem I thought was a bad ecm. I even bought a tech2, "no communication with ecm". New ecu didn't solve the problem either. After some helpful forum members and employing some of my super duper multimeter skills I found the suspension controller was shorting the can data lines and preventing every module on the entire system from communicating. Careful assuming the scan tool is always right. Sometimes it will send you down a rabbit hole you never needed to be in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas