Looking for an alternative to the upper bezel/"smoker's package" tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
chevy%20bezel_zpsxtsuqmoy.jpg
Does anyone know if there are any factory or aftermarket alternatives for the "smoker's package" upper bezel insert?

Ideally, I'd like a smooth plate that is contoured to fit the dash to replace the bezel insert with. I plan to install a 2 meter ham radio transceiver in this location but feel it would be easier to modify a "smooth" cover rather than the stock insert.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chevy%20bezel_zpsxtsuqmoy.jpg
Does anyone know if there are any factory or aftermarket alternatives for the "smoker's package" upper bezel insert?

Ideally, I'd like a smooth plate that is contoured to fit the dash to replace the bezel insert with. I plan to install a 2 meter ham radio transceiver in this location but feel it would be easier to modify a "smooth" cover rather than the stock insert.

I don't know what is behind the panel on your console, but mine had just enough behind that with a little trimming I was able to mount my FT-8500 in the tub/support behind the trim.
20170502_210308.jpg

OP
OP
SevenFortyOne

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why not make your own? @Cattivo made one for his nbs and put some gauges in it.

That is an option, however, with a full-time (And then some) job and a family I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands so I thought if something was already available I could buy/modify and save some time.

I don't know what is behind the panel on your console, but mine had just enough behind that with a little trimming I was able to mount my FT-8500 in the tub/support behind the trim.
View attachment 81395

My IC-2000 will fit in my console about like your Yaesu does (nice radio BTW), snug in the existing tray with some holes drilled in the back for access to the rear panel of the radio. For heat dissipation purposes and improved access to the power and antenna connections I'd probably cut most of the rear of the lower tray away and leave just the front portion of the tray opening unmodified with the radio sticking out an inch or two like yours. I thought that if I could get ahold of something that didn't have the trays it might come out looking a little cleaner and be even better for airflow/heat dissipation. This would also allow me to easily return the dash to factory condition by re-installing the original bezel if I ever decide to sell the truck.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an option, however, with a full-time (And then some) job and a family I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands so I thought if something was already available I could buy/modify and save some time.

My IC-2000 will fit in my console about like your Yaesu does (nice radio BTW), snug in the existing tray with some holes drilled in the back for access to the rear panel of the radio. For heat dissipation purposes and improved access to the power and antenna connections I'd probably cut most of the rear of the lower tray away and leave just the front portion of the tray opening unmodified with the radio sticking out an inch or two like yours. I thought that if I could get ahold of something that didn't have the trays it might come out looking a little cleaner and be even better for airflow/heat dissipation. This would also allow me to easily return the dash to factory condition by re-installing the original bezel if I ever decide to sell the truck.

Then I would suggest going to your local salvage yard, and get a part like that to cut up to mount your mobile in.

Then you could cut it up however you like, and not have to worry about it.

OP
OP
SevenFortyOne

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hacking up the stock bezel worked out better than I thought it would...

Here is the back - needs some de-burring
P1080060.JPG
Radio & bracket in the tray. Radio bracket will be attached to bottom of upper tray
P1080061.JPG

All put together - no signs of hacking
P1080063.JPG

OP
OP
SevenFortyOne

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who may be interested I've posted a couple of videos showing my antenna and radio installation...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas