Long road trip - take the 'burban or a sedan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj_nycguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did a 4000 mile trip from Dallas to NYC. Couldn't image driving anything but my Tahoe. My kids are older (21 and 19) and they still find it comfortable. MY issue is i want to drive more than 12hrs but the Mrs isn't up for that, so we limit the drive to 10-12hrs max, each day.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to drive 6 hours each way several times a year, because my wife has a rare brain disease called Huntington's Disease. Look it up, it's a horrible disease with no cure. Anyways, it's such a rare disease that no doctors here specialize in treating it, it's either Dallas or New Orleans. Since I still have family in New Orleans, we go down there. But we almost ALWAYS drive my 16 year old Suburban over her 2 year old Altima even though her car uses less than HALF as much fuel. The interior room and sheer comfort is worth the extra cost of fuel when driving for 6 hours straight.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you are taking the Burban..Just came off a 3K mile run from Miami-NYC and all over N.J..Saw tons of Burbans and Hoes..My 16 Hoe loves long highway runs.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4", and I have made several 4 hour trips in the '04 Monte Carlo SS that I use to have, and even though it can get 30mpg+ at freeway speeds, I'd still take my '00 Yukon XL if I had to make another trip like that.
I don't have to rest my knee on edge of the radio stack/center console in the XL. If I could just figure out why I'm only getting about 11-12 MPG combined, instead of the ~16mpg that I should be getting...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove from east coast to California many times. Once in car. A good sized one the rest in Yukon XL. no question Yukon especially if children are involved.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3000 miles? Easy.

Airplane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley

Reaction score
We drove from Southern California to Galveston, Texas this summer. We drove straight through both ways with 2 kids in the back. We were all very comfortable. Those 80 MPH speed limits in Texas were a dream :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper